i7 system - self build or something like "Titan H2OC Goliath"

Soldato
I am going round in circles!! I have 1 x "old" P4 system and 1 newer P4 2.8MHz.

I have ordered 2 x Win 7 on the cheap pre-order offer (£50).

I have windows home server so I am going convert the "old" P4 to a WHS system.

I hope to run Win7 on the new P4 system (if not will keep as XP SP3)

I want a new i7 set up (video editing and just to get the system that will last the longest before upgrading again). Not games.

I can't decide whether to build my i7 system or buy (e.g. Titan H2OC Goliath" is on offer at £927). If I start putting a system together I end up £1000+ for a similar i7 + zalman cooler + nice case.

HELP please before I crack up! Which way to go for a new QUIET win 7 PC?? "Self build" or "off the shelf"?

I suspect I can't use my exisiting power supply (no PCIe) or my hard drives (IDE) or DVD writer (IDE) so it's probably all new kit.

Associate
Thats all down to personal preference in my opinion.

I would build it myself, because i enjoy the process. I also like getting the bits i want, for example i think the antec 182 (at the time of buying) was the sexiest case around, with build quality next to none, i also wanted to build my water cooling in a specific way. and have the ability to tweak and upgrade it later.

If however, you want to buy a pc that arrives at your door and works, and doesn't have the problems i'm having now (with memory leaking, and having to RMA parts). then buying one off the shelf is the better option.

Its not cheaper any more to build it yourself so that isn't a motivator.

I'm sorry that isn't a definate answer, but i don't think there is one, decide what you want from the pc and make your choice.

Back
Top Bottom