Spec Me a Distro

Soldato
Well for my Creative & Media Diploma course i get a free macbook to use on the course and off. And while my current desktop will remain my main computer, i can imagine using this in some situations. The problem is this: I hate OSX. It's clunky and overly annimative. So i want to use a Linux Distro in my free time. The catch is this: It's administrator locked. I can't install any new programs from .exe files. Also, i'd rather have it bootable from a USB stick, and run entirely in the RAM so i don't have to install it (and probably get shouted at). I know a lot of Distros that do this (Tiny Core, DSL, Puppy, Feather, Arch etc.) but i just want to hear your opinion.

Also, once i've chosen said distro i'd like to know how to actually boot from it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Sorry to sound really mean, but learn OSX!!! Its a really good os! (would never turn my nose up to a free mac!)

Anyway you seem to have you heart set on linux so the best question is how proficent are you with linux? Theres a range of levels, you can do pclinuxos (super super simple), pendrive linux (seems to be ready made though i havnt used it) or if your more proficent id give sitting down and doing a gentoo or arch install for something like this....

Soldato
OP
I hate it. Finder is stupid, the dock is stupid, controlling 'windows' is stupid... basic commands are stupid. I much prefer Linux, which admittedly i haven't used as much as i've used Windows but i'm still proficient enough to find my way around. And for the most part, i find it fun to use. This i do not.

Associate
I agree with pingwing - but hey, you sound set.

If it's running off live cd / USB, then choose a distro that you can save state to (e.g. knoppix - which is debian based), or you'll end up getting really annoyed that you have to make the same changes every time you boot....

Back
Top Bottom