• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron 1352 suitable motherboard

Associate
Hi.

I have been looking at CPUs and I am tempted by the Opteron 1352. It is almost as fast as the Q6600 and costs £75ish. However, even though it is a socket AM2 chip no manus specify if it runs in their boards. Reading around the net though I have found a few boards it works in, but none full ATX size and that is important to me (280 GTX, wireless PCI, XFI etc).

I currently have an E4500 in an aging 680i board so was looking to upgrade pretty soon. has anyone ran an Opteron 1352 on any board OCuk sell?

Was looking ideally at one of the Asus boards.

Soldato
It's a server chip, which as far as i understand it is the same as a desktop chip but simply the core itself, and the cache. No integrated memory controller and all that jazz, so not really useful in a desktop situation. If you're looking at Q6600 performance on a budget then get it used. There will be a lot of people wanting to sell them round about now and you should be able to find a kit quite cheaply. That or somehing likea 720BE, or an unlocked 550.

Associate
OP
OK, was beginning to come to that conclusion any way.

I don't want Intel. I've been with them now for about three years and they have introduced so many chips that need a new motherboard I'm through with them. It was bad enough getting knobbed with this 680i tbh, and the terrible problems with the 790i SLI and then they go and change the socket completely for I7.

Money isn't the issue, it's more of wanting to go back to AMD. I think I am going to get the 955 BE and the Asus M4A78.

SLI was a big waste of money seeing as my 280 GTX can run anything and everything and I fancy a change from Nforce chipsets as they're all I have used since my Shuttle board running a XP2000+

Back
Top Bottom