• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Socket LGA 1156 Dead in 2011

Associate
I know, I went for the shock title, but hey it worked! ;)

Interesting quote from Tom's Hardware:

"You can expect this processor interface (1156) to remain pervasive until the end of 2011, when LGA 1155 (planned launch in the first half of 2011) starts grabbing market share big time."

This made me think of all the people on here asking questions on what platform will last the longest/be more future-proof/offer best bang-for-buck.

For me, this re-enforces the notion that trying to future-proof a PC is a mug's game and you should buy for today's use and not a hypothetical tomorrow.

Soldato
I know, I went for the shock title, but hey it worked! ;)

Interesting quote from Tom's Hardware:

"You can expect this processor interface (1156) to remain pervasive until the end of 2011, when LGA 1155 (planned launch in the first half of 2011) starts grabbing market share big time."

This made me think of all the people on here asking questions on what platform will last the longest/be more future-proof/offer best bang-for-buck.

For me, this re-enforces the notion that trying to future-proof a PC is a mug's game and you should buy for today's use and not a hypothetical tomorrow.

Im getting really confused with all these intel sockets now, how many more have they got up their sleeve?? So do you reckon they'll stop production of the 1156 cpus in favour of this new socket at the start of 2011?

Associate
Today's computer is tomorrow's history.
In 2years time we would be looking at the "then" current specs. We will most likely be buying brand new motherboards and cpu's etc.

Associate
OP
Only Intel knows, and they can change their mind. Take a Zen approach, who cares? I wouldn't let this stop me buying either 1366 or 1156 now if that's what fitted my requirements.

I mainly game and do a bit of development, so if I was buying today, I think I'd go i5 750.

Every motherboard I've bought over 18 years has at least had a different chipset, if not socket. I tend to buy a new one every 2 - 3 years.

Soldato
Well, I got my GD65 on Friday, clocked it over the weekend and yesterday and sold it this afternoon.

GD80 on the Banchetto at the moment:D

Who gives a hoot about how long S1156 will last. The average length of time most of us enthusiasts keep a CPU is less than 18 months, so we'll all be on something else long before S1156 dies. I mean S775 is so yesterday and they're still selling those:D

AND YES - I AM BEING HIDEOUSLY SARCASTIC.

Soldato
Yeah around 18 months to 2 years on a chipset it's always the same.

Good enough for me.

Soldato
Yeah around 18 months to 2 years on a chipset it's always the same.

Good enough for me.

Yeh to be fair it is about that isn't it. Ah well i try and buy parts for requirement rather than for ego. I do get an itch for new hardware though, but i try my best to forget about it if i really don't need it lol.

Associate
I think its because 775 lasted so long, but then again, FSB increase, die shrink support and PCI-E updates show that although the socket is the same name, it is very different in support, of the new P4x boards dont support the old first gen 775 CPUs. Also, if people always waited for new stuff, you would never buy. I mean i bought i7 first 2 weeks it was out, sure i paid a premium, but better to buy then than wait 10 months for the cheaper version to come out.

Associate
Not changing my 775 board for another 2 years at least. I've had it for 3 and still does everything i want it to, might even keep it for 3 now ive got this quad core.

Saves my time and money as well i suppose, but id hate to buy a 1366 board, only to have the socket outdated by next year.

I'm just going to focus on gpu upgrades, with nvidia's physix hopefully becoming more popular the focus on cpu might not be as important.

Associate
Its funny, cos I read people in these forums advising others to spend extra over 1156 and get 1366 instead cos of the i9 upgrade path. Yet I always think its not worth it, previously I have considered the upgrade path when buying a new mother board especially and I have never upgraded my CPU yet. I always end up doing the classic upgrade combo, CPU M/B and RAM, followed some time later by a new gen GFX card.

Soldato
Upgrade addicts aside, if your motherboard hold two cpus over it's lifetime that's pretty good in my experience :)

Soldato
3 years before the next socket?

What's the fuss? 1156 will still be functional. I've got a P4 3.0ghz plodding along quite happily unless I abuse it in games, then it cries. In 3 years time that P4 will still be totally capable of non-gaming activities as well as older lower requirement games.

If you have to have the very latest for the sake of it/benchmarks/can't stand hardware limitations while gaming/you genuinely have a professional reason for it then you'll be upgrading anyway or sticking with 1366 til it comes out.

Nothing to worry about unless you have some insane idea that investing in constantly depreciating and changing hardware is a good plan.

Soldato
I'm wondering how hot the Clarkdale 1156 processors will be compared to the core 2 duos... the best is only 130mhz over the E8600, using more energy and packing a GPU no gamer would admit to using.

Turbo mode on 3.46ghz should be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom