Help fitting Zalman CNPS10X

Associate
I've fitted the plastic 1156 clip to the board correctly, now how do I fit the metal clip and cooler itself? I cn't get the base of the cooler and the bracket to fit, it is the correct bracket, so I must be doing something wrong.

I've fitted normal coolers before, but this thing is MASSIVE.

The instructions are diabolical tbh.

Associate
OP
If you're thinking of buying one of these don't bother as the plastic 1156 bracket clip has small nuts at the bottom which keep popping out of the bottom atfter the cooler is installed.

Then its' impossible to use the metal screws to secure it to the mobo. For an expensive cooler it's a very basic design fault, and rubbish imo.

After four hours spent trying to fit a cooler, and after removing the mobo out countless times so that i can get to the part of the bracket with the small nuts i'm fairly ******g p***ed off tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey tywyn,

sorry to hear your having problems! :(

Don't sweat it though most of us had a hairy time when fitting our first premium heatsink! :p

I'm not familiar with that specific heatsink but seaching google throws up a few reviews which seem to say its a decent bit of kit.

Maybe yours is buggered? . . . or perhaps you are doing something wrong?

Associate
OP
Thx for the reply Big Wayne.

I've worked it out how to fit it, but what happens is when I go to secure the metal screws on the metal bracket to the plastic bracket (after the cooler in in place) one or two (of the four) metal nuts drop to the bottom of the bracket and onto the mobo, so then I'm unable to screw it securely. I've even tried it without the cooler.

Then I have to unscrew the bracket again from underneath the mobo and there's 4 small and very fiddly washers and 4 small screws to remove. I then take off the plastic 1156 bracket and put the tiny nuts back into the bracket again, although they fit perfectly and don't seem to be threaded etc. I've left for tonight and will have a go again tomorrow, and I've had a beer now so I deffo won't go near it tonight, and a bit calmer :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi mate,

I just had a look at the review that Wayne posted, and this cooler uses the same type of mounting gear that I had with my old Zalman cooler.

HS-040-ZA_400.jpg

I used that bracket with my 9700 on my i920 for several months without any issues whatsoever, so I would assume that the one that came with your HSF is faulty.

Send it back for a replacement one mate, as the nuts shouldn't fall out of the bracket as you described, they shouldn't move at all.

The plastic shroud gets bolted through the mobo with the 4 screws and plastic washers, then the HSF gets bolted onto the plastic shroud via the metal bracket with the 4 bolts that are attached to each corner..

Very simple mounting procedure imo, not fiddly at all, especially compared to some of the other HSF's around anyway.

Associate
OP
Thanks Davy boy I think I had the bracket upside down, hence the nuts dropping out of bottom of the plastic bracket :D:o:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It still won't fit on the asus board, there are transistors in the way stopping the correct fitting of the cooler.

Associate
OP
Cooler has been RMA'd.

It's the transistors on the board that's stopping it, the plastic bracket has been fitted the right way around.

The reason it took so long last night as I dismissed the correct way almost immediately as it clearly doesn't fit, but when you flip it over it fits, but the nuts are towards the bottom rather that the top.

I've put the stock cooler on now anyway, and I'll wait a few months to see what's on the market, and get it confirmed 100% that it fits my board before I buy.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are several other HSF's for this socket in the CPU Cooling section of the shop website.

If you were to ask one of the techs here in custom support if they could check and see which ones are compatible with your mobo I am sure they would be able to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom