Wierd OC problem on MSI P45 Platinum

Associate
Well I'm vexed. Using a Q6600 and MSI's proprietary DualCoreCenter software I can get some pretty decent overclocks from within Windows, but if I apply the same settings in the BIOS I can't get the board to POST reliably. I've tried more conservative OCs and higher voltages, and I've ensured that the RAM is running within spec, but the board doesn't want to play.

I'd settle for being able to OC from within Windows, only I run into this little problem with Crysis. Any ideas as to why I can't get a 3.2GHz OC in BIOS (8x400) but I can get as high as 3.4GHz stable from within Windows.

Ginga

Associate
OP
Yeah - I suppose I need to muck about with the settings some more. The odd thing is that I can loop 3DMark06 indefinitely in Windows at about 1.28 V no problems at all, but if I manually enter these settings into the BIOS, it won't boot. (Well sometimes it will, but not reliably.) I might also try updating the BIOS.

I did try 9x356 but the outcome was the same.

Ginga

Associate
OP
Perhaps, but I've upped the voltage on the core, and I have a decent PSU (PC Power & Cooling 910W). One thing I discovered was that, even at conservative increases in FSB from 266 to 300 (2.7GHz), it wouldn't boot reliably. I think I need a BIOS update. Another thing I might try is to use the jumpers on the mobo to set the default FSB to 400.

Ginga

Back
Top Bottom