Any Draytek Guru's in here. Have a question about the 2710n Firewall...

Soldato
Hello!

I've been fiddling around the router and I've set some block lists for IM/P2P, etc, etc.

I then noticed however under the "General Setup" section for the Firewall you have the below:-

Draytek1.jpg

Notice the 3 sections for IM/P2P, Web Content, etc. Now in these drop-down boxes are the lists I created earlier. Do I need to set them here also, or leave it set to "None"?

The reason I'm unsure is that you can see the action is set to "Pass". I found out that this is for all internet traffic. So when on pass, the internet works and when set to block, the internet doesn't load.

My thinking is that therefore, if I set the 3 lists I created and put them in here, it will allow them through the firewall. (i.e. Override them being blocked). Because the action is set to pass.

Can anyone help/clarify?

Thanks! :)

Soldato
OP
Think I may have cracked it actually. Did a quick test and it looks as though these 3 sections are not related to the Pass/Block for the general internet traffic.

I stuck overclockers into a blocked URL and tested, site still worked. I then set the list in the General section (i.e. in the above screenshot) and tried again, and it was blocked.

Very confusing I must say, I'd have quite happily created the lists and thought that was it. I would not have thought to then having to select them from another drop-down list, like above.

:)

Associate
... but need it to work on the o2 network (home access)

Where I'm situated it highly unlikely we'll be 'unbundled' anytime soon :( hense
being on O2 'home access'. So this router should be ok then?

Other than the Draytek, was also looking at the Billion 7800n.

Anyone know of a compatible list of routers for the O2 network including access?

Appologies for highjacking this thread.

Soldato
Newer Drayteks work fine on ADSL2 afaik but Ive only tested a 2820 on a BE line so I cant speak for all new Draytek units.

The only problem I found was that it was synching at a slightly lower speed than the BE box that came with the line

Back
Top Bottom