• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Clone mode different resolutions on 4890

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my current setup involving a 4890, dell 2407wfp and a optoma hd700x projector.
Im using a 100inch screen for the projector and routing via a dvi to hdmi dongle to the projector. My dell is running as normal from a dvi port.

Now i have the dell running@1920x1200 16:10 but the ati panel automatically downgrades this to 1900x1080 because this is the highest resolution my projector can display (1900x1080i).
The problem is that i cannot read the text on my desktop shortcuts very clearly on the screen due to it being so tiny. I'm running in "clone" mode so that i can view my desktop via the projector aswell as my dell.
I want to run the projecter at 1280x720p but this would involve lowering my dell resolution to the same which can be annoying as when i want to use the dell i have to change the rest yet again :S
In "extend" desktop mode i can infact run the dell at a seperate resolution to the projector but this defeats the purpose of me being able to see the desktop on the projector (start menu etc).

Does anyone have a clue how to clone the desktop onto my projector and have the dell run in one resolution whilst the projector runs in another?
I looked at ultramon but it doesnt seem to do anything with resolutions and hydravision doesnt give me any extra options what so ever :S

Associate
Pretty sure this was something available in the old catalyst stuff but was taken out (no idea why)

Ultramon does have a mirroing function allowing seperate resolutions although theres a note "If you need to mirror video/DVD or 3D applications: this may or may not work, depending on the application and operating system."

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/mirroring.asp

Might be worth downloading the trial to see if it functions as you want it to.

Last edited:
Associate
Not exactly what you want but you do know that when using extended you can just set which one you want to be primary and that should move the start bar? Not ideal as you have to keep switching when working on diff screens but is better than nothing.

No idea if it does what you want but ATi's Hydravision might be worth a look.

CSA

CSA

Associate
please update this this thread if you find a solution,im having a similar issue but with my HDTV , with both monitor and hdtv connected to my 4850 they only seem to run at 30 hertz interlaced when they both support 60 then if i try to change this it alters the resolution ?

Associate
please update this this thread if you find a solution,im having a similar issue but with my HDTV , with both monitor and hdtv connected to my 4850 they only seem to run at 30 hertz interlaced when they both support 60 then if i try to change this it alters the resolution ?

This in clone or extended? Have you tried adding supported modes under the monitor/hdtv options in CCC?

CSA

CSA

Associate
this is in clone mode i believe, i did look at the supported modes but it confused me alittle tbh lol i didnt know which ones to add

Associate
Just add the ones you want that you know your display supports.

I found my HDTV used to deafult to 59Hz instead of 60Hz and that DX10 games had a small boarder around the edge until I added in some extra modes.

Soldato
OP
I gave the ultramon program a go and it does indeed mirror the original desktop at your chosen resolution perfectly. Theres a slight problem with frame rate though, it is absolutely horrible even bumping it up to 30 updates a second. It uses an insane amount of cpu aswell...

I've instead been experimenting with the extended desktop, you can create another task bar here but you cannot have your start menu on both screens. Any new windows you create are automatically created on the primary monitor which is useless for me due to it being hidden behind my projection screen ><

So as i cannot find a perfect cloning app with exclusive desktop resolutions im going to see if i can find a program that clones my start menu. I think ultramon allows new windows to spawn on the secondary monitor.

I'm wondering whether all this hassle is worth it though considering i could simply change my primary monitor down to 1280x720.

CSA

CSA

Associate
Just out of curiosity if i was to run TWO graphics cards in crossfire , with the hdmi plugged into one and the DVI plugged into another would i then be able to set two differing resolution/refresh rate settings for the two displays ? or would it all still be one setting ?

Back
Top Bottom