Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler?

Soldato
Hello,

Is the Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-012-SY&tool=3) still a good option for a Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 BE in a HTPC case?

I’ve put up with the whining of the stock cooler for long enough!

Is it easy to replace the CPU cooler? By this I mean is the paste easy to remove and new paste easy to apply? (I’ve done it before but am far from confident about amounts to use etc.)

Thanks

Associate
Depends on the htpc case ... for example the Antec NSK 2480 / Fusion has excellent airflow better than most tower cases, yet only the mini ninja will fit.

OP - The mini ninja will do just fine - if you use the included fan, perhaps with a fan controller you'll easily be able to find a much better temp / noise compromise than the stock fan. Whether you'll be able to use the heatsink passively will depend on the case you are using.

It's easy to change the heatsink .. a quick search and you should find a guide on how to do it, how much paste to use etc.

Soldato
OP
thanks I've ordered the mini ninja, with the stock fan the CPU gets to 59oC (no overclock) and is very loud, not going to overclock just yet so hoping for a little less noise with the Ninja

Associate
can i ask which case did you buy, an what mobo

as the ninja is large with the cooler fan may go over the Memory area is say you had dominators you may have an issue

I hope that on my build silverstone lc20b-m that with msi gd65 iam using the second slots on memory and the ninja with a 92mm will be ok over the first dim

blowing air across to the two 80mm fans at the back. Bought a 92mm seperaly from someone QUIET. hoping that the i5-750 cpudoesnt go over too much W in thermal power and heat to give me grief.

hmm sheez maybe i should hav bought the CW02case and placed i the h50 cooler!!

wonder also if the freezer extreme rev 2 is any good compared to the ninja

Last edited:
Associate
does anyone know whats the best fan to use on the cooler.

I was looking at the NOCTUA 80mm fan or the sythe 92mm for quietness and cooling.

Hmmm wonder if this cooler does go over the ram slots on the msi gd65 board!!

Back
Top Bottom