Another spec me thread! - £2k

Soldato
So, it's getting to the point where I'm going to be getting myself a car in the next few weeks. I have about £2k to spend (£2.5k max but that has to include insurance which is looking like about £5-600)

I'm 25, but unfortunately have 0 no-claims, and have 3 points due to come off my licence next month (although insurance people ask for the past 5 years instead of 3 don't they?)

Anyways, I'm looking for something reasonably comfortable and reliable, also with a bit of kick to it if possible!

I've been looking at the following, which are round about my budget, however knowing virtually nothing about cars I would value some input from the more experienced members on here to avoid buying something completely turd!

The ones I've been looking at in this price range are all around 8-10 years old.

Couple of saloons, although I'm partly wondering if in this price range anything I get will be a bucket of rust?:

Mitsubishi Galant - purely in terms of looks, I think this is the sex :p
Volvo S40
BMW 3 series
Ford Mondeo

Also been thinking about hatchbacks:

Honda Civic
Renault Clio
Peugot 206

Just wondering if there are any to avoid, any other suggestions, things to look out for etc? Any feedback appreciated.

Soldato
Don't whatever you do buy a 206. They are dire.

Mondeo's you will be able to buy decent ones for that price. Not sure about the volvo.

Reasonable e36 328i's can be had for that budget. Still a great looking car imho, especially with the nice bbs wheels.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1238595.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1194829.htm

As for the others, civic vti-s can easily be had for that budget. Lookswise they are ok, have plenty of kick with honda reliability to boot.

bit of a crap example, but hey.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1243139.htm

Last edited:
Permabanned
Galant, I went to look at one but the guy sold it. Nice, with a lot of potential. I also think it looks tasty, not quite evo but near.

After that I'd say try for a 6pot 3 series.

Hot hatch, 172.

Soldato
OP
Nice, was a bit concerned I would be told to avoid the Galant! What are they like in terms of reliability?

The ones I've been seeing for £1.5-£2k are around 80-120k miles, anything I should be looking out for at that point, or any expensive repairs looming?

I'm guessing, being as they're slightly less common that parts can be a bit difficult/expensive to get hold of?

What's the MPG like on a 2L

Man of Honour
If you like the Gallant buy it, great cars the only bad things about them is the have crap interiors but as you like them you obviously dont mind that therefore it'd make a great car.

Permabanned
~For a guide the one I just missed out on was mot'd tax'd for a while (roughly 5-6 months), silver pics looked clean from the ones he supplied he wanted £995.

Soldato
If you decide to get a Galant, get yourself onto ClubVR-4.

Whilst primarily for the VR-4 derivative of the 8g Galant/Legnum, there's a wealth of knowledge for all Galant models, and many members have owned multiple models of Galant, from the 2.0 GLS to the 2.5 V6-24 (which is my suggested engine of choice!) to the VR-4.

Soldato
Don't whatever you do buy a 206. They are dire.

Mondeo's you will be able to buy decent ones for that price. Not sure about the volvo.

Reasonable e36 328i's can be had for that budget. Still a great looking car imho, especially with the nice bbs wheels.

That makes no sense - you say you cant get a decent mondeo for 2.5k but you'd buy a 2.5k e36?

2.5k is more than enough to get a tidy mk3 prefacelift zetec
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/789420.htm

Soldato
I think most used car prices are on the up slightly - I still think a 2 grand 3 series is going to be a bit of a money pit (compared to something like a Focus)

Permabanned
I think most used car prices are on the up slightly - I still think a 2 grand 3 series is going to be a bit of a money pit (compared to something like a Focus)

Why do you think that? I think your talking drivel. ;)

You mention nothing about service history, or indeed model/engine size. I don't think all 3 series for that money are going to be a money pit - it would only be so if you bought a shed.

You don't have to buy a shed for 2 grand.

Soldato

You mention nothing about service history, or indeed model/engine size. I don't think all 3 series for that money are going to be a money pit - it would only be so if you bought a shed.

Ok I probably expressed that badly - you're more likely to end up with a money pit on a 2k 3 series than a 2k mondeo.

The original implication was that you couldnt buy a good Mondeo for the money, but you could buy a good 3 series..

Caporegime

Unless it is a particularly loved and cherished e36 that you come to buy (which will usually mean that they are higher priced), then it will most likely need a whole host of work doing to it in order to make it both reliable and to bring back the vibrancy of the handling/chassis.

Anyone kidding themselves that a £2k e36 will be anything other than somewhere to spend more money month by month has evidently never owned one or seriously researched one.

That said, I'd still have one, but that is because a) I love how they look b)how they drive, and c) how much I know about them. I'm also handy with a socket set and could pull apart most of an e36 and rebuild it over the course of a long weekend.

Back
Top Bottom