wtf is a "Flitch Support Member"?

Soldato
Friend of ours has MOTd his Vito van and the only welding piece is listed as "Nearside front (Flitch Support Member) Suspension compnent mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded."

I don't have a clue what they're talking about.

I've had a look at the NSF and the only rust i can find is this...
vitorust1.jpg

vitorust2.jpg

The actual shock mount is rock solid and the underside of that area is solid too (even after a good jabbing with screwdriver), but i'm guessing this is within the area for suspension stength?

Is this are a flitch support member? :confused::confused: is this possibly the most stupid name for a vehicle part? and is it going to be an utter beach to get access too?

Don
Wow that is rusted, and probably provides some part of the front impact protection I would have thought.

IIRC, if it's within 30cm of a crucial mounting pointing (e.g. Brakes, top mounts) then it'll be a fail. I can't believe it has become that poor in just a year since it's last MOT though.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Never heard of it myself but that rust looks bad enough to fail because of how close it is to the top of the strutt. I reckon the Dude made the name up himself. Looks a bitch of a job to get to, Rather you than me mate.

Soldato
OP
ok, wing off and the job is "slightly" bigger than expected. I've knocked out anything that was loose and this is the hole so far.

vitorust3.jpg

Think i'm going to be busy tomorrow!

Soldato
A flitch panel is basically an inner wing or part there of that connects bulkhead to pillar and wing.
Looks like you found the correct rust hole to weld up :D

It'll be easier if the panel is available to buy and weld that in instead of trying to make one from scratch.

It failed because the hole is within 12" of the suspension mount (top mount)

Soldato
OP
Utter ballache of a job, having to make the new panels and follow the curve of the arch.

Learned a lesson today. You wear a mask to protect your eyes from the blinding light and uv radiation. This last point is the important one. If you spend the day welding in a t-shirt, you will end up with ****ing sunburn on your arms!

Back
Top Bottom