Weird problem with pc...

Associate
When I overclock my CPU everything's working fine. However, if I turn my PC on with my external HDD drive plugged in, the POST screen will pause for a minute while it's accessing the drive...then the PC will restart and the CPU clocks will return to their original values and I have to overclock again and turn it on without the drive plugged in. If I turn on my PC without the drive plugged in, and plug it in later, everything's working fine.

I can play games, Crysis for example which I'm sure is raping my pc's resources, and it works fine overclocked and with the drive plugged in. The problem is literally just when turning the computer on?

Anybody have any idea how I can fix this?

Permabanned
It might be that that HDD is damaged try running hd tune to see if theres any errors on the drive, shouldnt really reset your clocks but it would explain the restarts

Associate
Could it be picking up the USB drive as a boot device? Strange that it would cause such an issue, but I have had some machines not boot up when a USB device has been plugged in (including my G1 Android phone!).

Might be worth disabling that boot option in the BIOS?

Associate
OP
I have no way of disabling the option to boot from HDD in my bios? I can see it allows me to change the order of harddrives it boots from, but I can't tell it not to boot from that HDD

Associate
Legacy USB enabled in bios? This caused stalls when booting if I had my external USB HDD plugged in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't look HDDs, look for USB device settings/their position in boot order.

Strange that it would cause such an issue, but I have had some machines not boot up when a USB device has been plugged in (including my G1 Android phone!).
One neighbour has laptop which often freezes during loading of Vista if USB GPRS modem is connected.

Associate
OP
I don't think the bios detects it as a USB device though...it's a 500gb HDD that I've formatted as NTFS, so I think it just thinks it's a harddrive in the bios?

Back
Top Bottom