Windows 7 home premium price?

Associate
Hi,
I am looking at moving from Win XP to Windows 7 when its released in october. I read in a pc mag though that the home premium retail price is £150 quid, yes many places are selling it pre-order for around £65. Is this a special pre-order price, or do you think it will stay this price after it has been released on 22 october?

Reason Im asking is I dont really have the money to pre-order and pay for it now, but I dont wan to end up paying full whack after its released.

Ta much!

Associate
When i pre ordered mine (not from ocuk), was told that money wont come out until the product is dispatched. As far as im aware its the same policy for all companies.

I think various businesses only have a certain amount of copies at the pre order price, as lots of other suppliers are charging the rrp.

Soldato
Windows 7 is going through two pre-order phases.
The first one is now long gone.
It enabled you to get Home Premium for £50 and Professional for £100.

The second phase of pre-order (which we are currently in) only seems to give offers on Home Premium.
Right now you can secure Home Premium for anything between £65 - £85.

Once Windows 7 is actually released in October, prices will revert to the full retail, which will be £150 for the full retail version of Home Premium.

Before you get all excited about "over priced" Microsoft software.
Look at it this way.
An OS will last for approx. 3 years.
Full retail allows you to transfer the OS between all of the machines you own in those 3 years.
So £50 a year or less than £1 a week to use Windows 7 - now that is an absolute bargain.
And that is with the OS at £150!

Soldato
Windows 7 is going through two pre-order phases.
The first one is now long gone.
It enabled you to get Home Premium for £50 and Professional for £100.

The second phase of pre-order (which we are currently in) only seems to give offers on Home Premium.
Right now you can secure Home Premium for anything between £65 - £85.

Once Windows 7 is actually released in October, prices will revert to the full retail, which will be £150 for the full retail version of Home Premium.

Before you get all excited about "over priced" Microsoft software.
Look at it this way.
An OS will last for approx. 3 years.
Full retail allows you to transfer the OS between all of the machines you own in those 3 years.
So £50 a year or less than £1 a week to use Windows 7 - now that is an absolute bargain.
And that is with the OS at £150!

46 quid for the OS is also a bargain ;)

Soldato
It is a bargain really. Is there anything I would miss that's in the Pro/Ultimate editions that isn't in Home Premium? I've had a quick look on the MS comparison site and didn't see anything immediately obvious.

Edit: Forgot to ask, any idea if OcUK take your dosh immediately or upon shipment?

Last edited:
Associate
Ive pre-ordered for W7 Ultimate full version from other side quite cheap but after pre-order is finish then price may go up... my online store wont debit my money still it dispatch first so it will be on 22-23 October that few weeks to go.

Soldato
It is a bargain really. Is there anything I would miss that's in the Pro/Ultimate editions that isn't in Home Premium? I've had a quick look on the MS comparison site and didn't see anything immediately obvious.

Edit: Forgot to ask, any idea if OcUK take your dosh immediately or upon shipment?

From past experience OcUK take the money when you order, not when it's dispatched.

Soldato
I preordered mine yesterday for £50 bux free delivery from a leading high street supermarket....

although I might have a little foray into that student offer. Goooood shout.

Can you PM me the store. Email in trust. I've checked some obvious one so far but to no avail.

Thanks

Permabanned
Nothing wrong with an upgrade version, It's exactly the same as the full retail version, only difference is that it asks you to put in your XP/Vista disc during installation to verify you own a previous version of windows.

Associate
Nothing wrong with an upgrade version, It's exactly the same as the full retail version, only difference is that it asks you to put in your XP/Vista disc during installation to verify you own a previous version of windows.

You have to install XP or Vista, activate it, and then install 7 within. You can't do a clean install with the upgrade disc.

Associate
It says the offer is only valid for people running vista or xp - go figure :)
The £50 HP / £100 Pro pre-order offers had the same wording yet were full versions, albeit mandated by the E edition mess. This offer doesn't state explicitly that it's an upgrade version, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions :)

Back
Top Bottom