Samsung warranty help

Associate
Right then, got me a Samsung LE40m87BDX, bought 17.04.08, which has a 12 month warranty, just before that ran out i had to send it off to get fixed as the ghosting/dragging was unbearable, it came back and was fine for 2 months then it happened again and i had to send it off to get fixed, now today 2 months after getting it back for a 2nd time i have a new, rather major fault

33xauc1.jpg

(sorry for quality of the pic, but you get the idea!)

Where do i stand warranty wise with this? am i out of luck with Samusng?

(i cant get intouch via their site atm as the site doesnt seem to be working for me :/ )

Soldato
As the warranty goes - it ran out in April.
Just because you have something repaired it doesn't extended the warranty.

However....

A television would be expected to last for more than 17 months.
So I would say that you're in the perfect situation to attempt to use the Sale Of Goods act which states that equipment should last for a reasonable amount of time.

Contact Samsung and see what they have to say.
If they definitely say they won't look at it under warranty, just mention the Sale Of Goods.

Associate
OP

thats what i wasnt to sure about, yousee, the only thing iv ever had to send back anywhere was my xbox360, and that always came back to me with another 12 month warranty

Finally get the Samsung site to work, so lets see what their reply is :)

And i agree, i paid £700 for this tele, i saved for soooo long to get it and it most deffinetly should last longer than what it has

Caporegime
If they definitely say they won't look at it under warranty, just mention the Sale Of Goods.
Your post was correct until you mentioned contacting Samsung. As it's very unlikely you bought it direct you need to contact the retailer.

Associate
@evanswolves:

I'm not surprised your Samsung TV has developed a "2nd" fault. I've been in a similar situation where I had to call Samsung to report a fault 10 months I'd bought it. They sent engineers out who opened it, checked it, did a master reset and it was fine for another 6 months or so (I should also like to mention that these reputable engineers said Samsung were awful).
About 3-4 months out of warranty, and my TV developed the same fault again (God knows if it had been fixed first time round), so I contacted Samsung who politely told me to get stuffed.

However....

A television would be expected to last for more than 17 months.
So I would say that you're in the perfect situation to attempt to use the Sale Of Goods act which states that equipment should last for a reasonable amount of time.

Out of curiosity Stoofa, how could anyone use the Sale of Goods act against a multi billion pound/dollar etc corporation like Samsung? Could you please explain that as I'm really rather umm... ****ed off with Samsung?

Soldato
Associate
I was wrong in my statement - sorry.
As two people have posted, it is the retailer you want to speak to.

Their initial response is going to be:
"One year warranty, it's out of warranty now".

However you should push it further.
At the link below you can find a couple of letter templates you might like to use:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

These are excellent! I think I'll be giving that a go and I'll hopefully get a 500 quid refund from the retailer I bought it from. :)

Thanks a lot.

Associate
OP
thanks a lot :)
Have gotten in touch with Samsung who then told me to phone the company that fixed my tele last time, then to get back in touch with them after i have sent the company a video of the fault to sort something out... so fingers crossed :)

Associate
thanks a lot :)
Have gotten in touch with Samsung who then told me to phone the company that fixed my tele last time, then to get back in touch with them after i have sent the company a video of the fault to sort something out... so fingers crossed :)

That's what they told me the 2nd time round, but they also mentioned a 120 pound charge the engineers have for just taking a look at it. If I had gone along with it, I would've had to have paid 120 quid, then get back to Samsung, then they would've sent the replacement parts etc to the engineers, but they would NOT have reimbursed me the 120 pound charge.

Find out exactly what their terms are before you go ahead with it mate. :)

Anyhow, I'm definitely going to try the Sales of Goods Act method and hopefully grab them by the balls! :D

Caporegime
These are excellent! I think I'll be giving that a go and I'll hopefully get a 500 quid refund from the retailer I bought it from. :)

Thanks a lot.
I doubt you'll get a refund for the full amount - the retailer is completely within their rights to make deductions for the amount of use you've had from the set but the figure they decide is really up to them to pick and you to negotiate on. They may also agree to get the set repaired, or to pay for part of the repair with you paying the rest etc. It's not as clear cut as step 1, mention the Sales of Goods Act, step 2 receive a full refund.

Associate
I doubt you'll get a refund for the full amount - the retailer is completely within their rights to make deductions for the amount of use you've had from the set but the figure they decide is really up to them to pick and you to negotiate on. They may also agree to get the set repaired, or to pay for part of the repair with you paying the rest etc. It's not as clear cut as step 1, mention the Sales of Goods Act, step 2 receive a full refund.

You know, even if they offer 200 quid, I'll accept it. This stupid Samdung TV just sits in the corner gathering dust.
If they offer to repair it, I'll just keep on at them. I want nothing to do with crappy Samsung.

Soldato
Sorry you've had problems with your Samsung - but I'm going to have to defend the brand :)
I own a Samsung LE40F86 LCD and it's amazing.
Before we purchased it we spent around 2-3 months looking at various brands and models.
In the end we felt that only the far more expensive Sony televisions were able to beat the Samsung on overall picture quality.

Anyway, I really do hope you get things sorted.
A television should last longer than 17 months, simple as that, so hopefully things will all get sorted out.

Associate
Sorry you've had problems with your Samsung - but I'm going to have to defend the brand :)
I own a Samsung LE40F86 LCD and it's amazing.
Before we purchased it we spent around 2-3 months looking at various brands and models.
In the end we felt that only the far more expensive Sony televisions were able to beat the Samsung on overall picture quality.

Anyway, I really do hope you get things sorted.
A television should last longer than 17 months, simple as that, so hopefully things will all get sorted out.

From what I can see, and from what other forum members have said, Samsung sell more of their TV's than other brands, so, statistically, faults will be more common with Samsung. However, I do repeat that the engineers that came to look at my TV had only negative things to say about Samsung (I assure you I am not making this up), and they had only positive things to say about Panasonic, Pioneer, and they rarely get calls to deal with Sony TV's. They even said they'd be struggling for business if Samsung didn't make TV's, as most of their calls are to fix Samsung's. :D
Granted, some people such as yourself have had a good experience with Samsung, but the amount of complaints regarding faults or even after care I've seen on different websites is very high. Way too high in my opinion.
Looking at my TV though, which, by the way, had been given good reviews on reliable websites, is clearly badly made from cheap plastics, whilst the build quality on my Pioneer is amazing! Even the remote weighs a ton! :D

Permabanned
I don't know about Sony but Panasonic will often honour warranties that are out of date, I dealt with one guy who had one that was out of date by a year and they still replaced it.

Got to love Panasonic, good build quality and good service. :)

Back
Top Bottom