Does anyone know much about 0845 numbers please and moving them maybe?!

Associate
Hello all,

My company has a couple of 0845 numbers that we use, but the guy who set them up did a runner about 2 years ago and thankfully they have worked ever since still in the background.... somewhere.... but we have no idea where they were registered or who is looking after them! The problem is that one of the numbers that we use to receive faxes now has a problem. The number just rings when you dial it, but nothing picks it up.

Does anyone know a way to look up a specific 0845 provider please? It would be great if I could then just in contact with that company and sort out the problem rather than try and re-register some new numbers or somehow to try and move these existing numbers over.

Many thanks in advance,
SHARKTICUS:confused:

Caporegime
Silly question, have you checked the actual fax machine? Also have you tried to ring the number that the 0845 number should be over laid onto? What happens in this instance? If it goes though to the fax, then the 0845 number is not overlaid correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Silly question, have you checked the actual fax machine? Also have you tried to ring the number that the 0845 number should be over laid onto? What happens in this instance? If it goes though to the fax, then the 0845 number is not overlaid correctly.

The fax machine is at a "virtual office" where they receive loads of faxes from different companies, then scan them in and forward them on as emails to the respective company. They said that they have checked their machine and that it is working fine for them / everyone else.

Who supplies your lines? i.e. who do you pay when the bill arrives? NGNs are usually just a front for a standard number configured on the suppliers network.

The fax number goes elsewhere and is unrelated to our phone line provider - we're on a business park and they supply our in-office phone line (which receives the other 0845 number no problem!)

Not always. They could have lines/calls with one company and then another company supplying the 0845 number.

The 0845 numbers were originally bought through the guy I mentioned in the original post as he had a local company that used to supply all of the ADSL / email services and so on before I started with them. He did actually do a runner and we only ever managed to contact him once 2 years ago to get our a new server back that had just been ordered from him!

Associate
OP
To complicate matters, our 0845 number that goes to our office firstly comes through to a Skype number, which then comes through to our office! Unfortunately the only number linked though on Skype is the one for our actual phone line in our office, and not the fax number.

Does anyone know if there is a way to look up the number to see where it might be registered? A bit like a WHOIS but for the 0845 number.

Associate
OP
As luck would have it, I thought I would double check with the virtual office that looks after our faxes to make sure that everything was setup ok at their end - and after speaking to someone from the technical department, it would appear that they actually have ownership of the 0845 number and so are now looking into the problem! :D Lesson here is: look into things yourself rather than just taking what your colleagues tell you at face value.... and always speak to the technical department so that you can talk to someone who will know what you are talking about!!

Associate
OP
To be honest, we had no seperate bills for it - but it turns out it's all being paid for within another service as I found out earlier on when I happened to get in contact with someone along the chain! Thanks for all the help everyone, should be sorted out by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom