Windows 7 went to sleep, now in a coma!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
My computer problems just keep getting stranger and stranger.

I installed Windows 7 a while back and my computer was running perfectly fine, no problems at all. Last night I clicked the sleep button in the start menu instead of shut down and my computer started to "sleep" like it normally would by the display going off, BUT the power stayed on for some reason. I left it for half and hour or so but the screen was still blank and the power was still on... I tried everything I could to wake it up, mouse clicks, keyboard buttons, power button but nothing would wake it up. So i decided to do a manual hard shut down (held power button for 6 seconds).

Now the strangeness begins, I turned my computer back on but it did not go through any post screens, the computer sounded like it had "woken up" (CD lights flashed as usual, CPU fan started etc...) but the display was still blank. I tried to wake it again using the same methods but nothing would work.

I decided to do some more hard shut downs using the power switch and the power button a number of times but still nothing worked, it still just turned on to a blank screen. (I have a dual display and normally when I boot up I can see the post screens and load screens on both my monitor and TV but nothing appears on either). I also tried to reboot it with the Windows 7 disk in the drive so that is would maybe boot off that... but no.

I then decided to disconnect my internal system HDD and rebooted but the same out come... blank! So I disconnected all my internals and externals and tried again, still nothing. I then removed my RAM and tried once more but STILL nothing, no post, no load screens just fans, DVD drive lights, floppy disk lights, and case power lights.

Now I doubt it's my graphics card as everything was working fine before, all I did was press the sleep button! I don't think it's a hardware problem, but surely if its a OS problem when I disconnected my HDDs it would have posted and said it was unable to find a bootable device, unless the sleep is stored in the RAM, but then the boot without the RAM connected should have at least done something.

I've left my computer off for a few hours and tried again, but nothing so I left it on overnight just in case it was trying to do something but it was still in the same state this morning.

This problem has me completely lost as I have no idea what is wrong or what I can do. All my data is on other drives so I can re-format my system drive using my brothers computer but I'm not sure if that will do anything as even without the HDD connected nothing happened.

Please don't tell me it's a hardware problem as I've just bought all these new parts not too long ago.

If you need my spec, my mobo is an ASUS P5Q-Deluxe, graphics is a saphire HD4870, processor is a Q6600 and i have g.skill 4gb (2x2) DDR2 RAM. Need any more info just ask.

I've read that people have experienced similar sleep problems but they have all been solved by doing a hard shut down, but that does not work for me. Please if anyone has any suggestions at all can you advice me as I am absolutely stuck!

Thanks for any help you can provide guys.
(I'm leaving work now so should be home in about an hour and a half to reply)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Already tried unplugging the PSU, left it unplugged for a while as well.

Yeah BIOS reset is going to be my next step. Cheers. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
What's the psu and how old is it?

You could consider a shorting problem - which would mean building the sytem out if the case. Is the MB loose?

Disconnect and re-attach all your connections and look closely at all of them for signs of damage.

EDIT: If you have a voltmeter to hand you could try testing the psu. If you're unsure how to do this Huddy's site - link - has a good guide on how to do this. (scroll down to the PSU headings.)

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, a clear of the RTC RAM didn't initially work but it did in conjunction with the motherboard battery removal!! Wahey!! Althogh my computer appears to be running a lot slower than normal... (I hope I haven't damaged the RAM or offset the heatsink) I'll have a play around and see if I can get it back up to speed.

Thanks again guys, I guess I should have tried everything before I actually posted for help... ah well lesson learned. Cheers

Soldato
Althogh my computer appears to be running a lot slower than normal...

You probably just need to tweak your BIOS settings after the CMOS reset - if you're running 8500 memory you will need to set the frequency, timings etc manually.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Cheers man, nah I didn't need to tweak any BIOS settings, I just restarted it once more and it all ran perfectly fine, same speed as usual. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom