• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 8800GTX

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I'm buying a 2nd hand 4890 from M&M to replace my 8800GTX as one of the builders wants the 8800. With the price I am getting for my old the new is costing me next to nowt.
With the new cards almost out prices are dropping all over including 2nd hand & Bargaintastic upgrades can be had. My upgrade is costing 55 quid.
I plan on running it for maybe 8 months & letting everybody else Guinea pig the new cards & drivers. ;)

Soldato
ATI are currently better value for money, but Nvidia have the fastest card (295).

I'd be going for a 4890 myself due to bang for buck.

As for the new cards, I think they're out on the 23rd Sept in the UK, so best to see what they are like or what effect they have on the pricing of existing cards.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I'd say the 4890 is better myself but then I would as I am buying one, I think others would agree with me though.
We're both between a rock & a hard place really what with the new releases just days away but mine is a cost effective upgrade which made up my mind & I am helping a mate out by selling him my 8800GTX, Horses for courses & all that.
I can say though I am No fanboy when it comes to GFX cards though & just buy the best bang for buck I can get at the time for the right price, Like I said this upgrade will cost me 55 quid. :D
I am also a bit long in the tooth for Guinea pigging new hardware & drivers & have just about had enough messing about finding solutions to the latest problem/bugz etc
I like buying cost effective upgrades of Decent hardware that has already been tested irl by others on here. I game & like to know for certain that whatever hardware I buy will do what I want Before I actually buy it.
On top of that even though I have 300 quid laying about I prefer to use it for other toys.

Associate
Went from a 8800GTS to a 285 and appreciated a noticeable jump is speed in all my games. Fan definitely needs calming down in Riva Tuner though and it is a very long card so make sure it'll fit in your case.

Madz

ps wait, just noticed you decided on a 4890. Dang.

Man of Honour
For the first time sine the 8500LE, I'll have a card from the red corner. Going by what I've read, it will be silly not too and an ideal replacemnet for my reliable faithfull GTX.

Just have to wait for a waterblock too.

Associate
Right, so 4890 it is and obviously it would be best to wait till the new cards come one. But the question is, from all these, which brand and card would you guys go for:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1403

Depends on how big of an issue noise/heat is.

Cheapest or grab either XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 XTX XXX Edition (on TWO) or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X 1024MB in my view.

No idea what ATI's lower end cards will be like thou 57xx/56xx or when there turning up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom