Windows 7 Crashing

Associate
Hi, having a bit of a problem with the pc and would be very grateful for any advice. Spec is Gigabyte 965P-DS3, E6600, ATI 4870, 2gig DDR, Audigy Sound and a 600W coolermaster PSU.

Never had any problems at all under XP and switched to Windows 7 a couple of months ago. Every now and then the machine locks up and the monitor loses signal, a few seconds later the machine reboots. Event manager shows that Event ID 41 - Kernel Power critical errors are occuring each time the machine goes down. All temps are fine, benchmarks what id expect and performance in games is absolutely fine as well.

Crashes seem fairly random; once while playing a game, a couple of times when ive been away from the machine and twice the other day whilst trying to burn a cd. Seems to happen every few days.

Searched my arse off trying to find a solution with no luck, anyone got any idea how I can figure out whats causing it?

Last edited:
Associate
It's either a dodgy Power Supply or there's a driver going crazy. I'd check with a known good Power Supply and see whether that has any effect on the crashes. Try updating to the latest drivers for everything you can and see if that helps as well.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
The best thing to do in a situation like this is a Windows update and check all your drivers for the latest versions.

Have you tried a memtest?

Associate
OP
Seems to have stopped, havent had a crash in well over a week so got to play through the whole of bioshock without interuption :).

Anyway, noticed the frequency of crashes was reduced when sleep/hibaernate were turned off. Updated the bios and changed the sleep/power state from S1 to S3 and everything is fine regardless of sleep/hibernation settings.

Just thought it might be wirth posting incase anyone runs into similar issues.

Back
Top Bottom