Anyone use online backup?

Soldato
Does anyone use a service to backup files online? I back all my stuff up with Time Machine to an external HD but I'm looking for a service which will let me also back up crucial documents (probably no more than 150MB) so that in the event that my house burnt down or a similar scenario, I'd still have the things online.

I've contemplated Mobile Me but don't need any of the other features and £59 seems a bit steep for having a 20GB iDrive.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
I've been trying out iDrive which seems pretty good.
2GB is free, or its 150 GB for $4.95 pcm on Pro

Last edited:
Associate
dropbox for critical files, especially useful for sharing them with others, and accessing them over the web. I have about 48Gb stored on dropbox and it syncs automagically to all my computers, mac's and PC's alike. Great product.

mozy for backups. Using this for long term storage of backups of everything. Probably around 300gb.

Soldato
thanks guys for dropbox

wow thanks for this dropbox tip.

To be honest I have never really thought about it before but with 3 PCs at home and now getting a touch this is a great tool.

The price per year is great too.

But I have loads and loads of dropbox questions.

First would be if you attach your photos folder to dropbox how does it know where to sync the file to on other PCs?

Second are you allowed mulitple locations.

for example

Comp A has photos in F:/photos but in Comp B photos are stored in D:/photos

For videos the same thing ?

Is it easy to link the folders? I watched the cool dropbox video but he already had the links set up so I didn't get to see how there were created.

Associate
First would be if you attach your photos folder to dropbox how does it know where to sync the file to on other PCs?

Second are you allowed mulitple locations.

It syncs them into the same pictures folder under the mydropbox location. What you need to understand is that dropbox when installed creates a "my dropbox" folder inside your my documents. Its that one folder and anything inside it which gets sync'd up. You cant add other folders to be synced outside of the "my dropbox" folder(although they are working on this)

Soldato
It syncs them into the same pictures folder under the mydropbox location. What you need to understand is that dropbox when installed creates a "my dropbox" folder inside your my documents. Its that one folder and anything inside it which gets sync'd up. You cant add other folders to be synced outside of the "my dropbox" folder(although they are working on this)

You can actually do other folders outside the my dropbox folder. it just takes a bit of work.

Symlink

Back
Top Bottom