• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 retail warranty?

Associate
Im looking to buy a chip 2nd hand of someone (i7 920). Its the retail version but does not have reciept, box or heatsink.

Will I be able to avail of warranty?

Associate
nope.

You'd need proof of purchase as they can't prove how long you're had it, but usually the contract with the warranty is for the person who originally bought it.

Unless it's less than £50, I'd buy new

Soldato
They didn't bother keeping the receipt, or the box? I hope it is significantly cheaper than the alternative 920s for sale, as someone who is careless with these things may have been careless with the processor.

You may get somewhere with warranty, but it isn't very likely/will be difficult. According to Intel almost anything voids the warranty anyway (aftermarket paste, any heatsink other than their own both void warranty). Add to this that processors are as close to bombproof as anything gets in electronics, and I'm not sure warranty matters. I've killed one recent processor, and most people on these boards will be on zero dead.

Good luck either way

EDC

EDC

Associate
I RMA'd a dead E8400 (C0) stepping direct to Intel it was still under warranty, I had the box and the receipt but had binned the Intel cooler long ago because one of the plastic push-pins had broken. The retailer refused the RMA because I didn't have the cooler, but Intel (Ireland) accepted it, they sent me a brand new boxed E8400 (E0) stepping and paid for the courier pick-up and delivery, very good of them I thought.

Associate
U don't need any receipt, they don't bother. My E8600 was dead - that was second hand CPU - I RMA'd directly to Intel as well - no probs at all.
All they need is all numbers from CPU - that's it.

EDC

EDC

Associate
yeah that's true, Intel do ask you for specific markings on the CPU, and you need a magnifier to read 'em. If the CPU wasn't purchased in the UK they won't accept the RMA.

Last edited:
Soldato
You also need the serial off the stock HSF.

When I was talking with someone from Intel's RMA department, they told me that all I needed to do was provide them with the information off the CPU's IHS and also the fan serial number, they didn't say anything about proof of purchase.

If you look in that link above, it says they MAY require proof of purchase, like I said, when I was looking to RMA one of my previous 920's, they never asked me for any proof of purchase, they sent me the RMA request form and was quite happy for me to send them my chip.

Last edited:

EDC

EDC

Associate
In my case they never asked for a receipt, ( although I had one) they were only interested in the CPU markings and Intel cooler serial number, and like I said, I didn't have the cooler but they accepted the RMA anyway, the whole RMA process took 10 days, very good service from Intel.

Soldato
A friend sent a Q6600 back about 6 weeks ago with no cooler, box or receipt, they only wanted the cpu details from the chip, he even (stupidly) told them he'd been water cooling it and they weren't bothered. OEM may well be different in terms of proof but on chips that can't be anything near 3 years old retail's are just taken back without question.

Soldato
Does that need clarification? Failing to keep proof of purchase is not indicative of a careful person. I would rather buy from a careful person than from a careless one. Do you disagree?

Soldato
You chose to rewrite my comment in terms of absolutes when it was made in terms of indications. Lack of receipts implying carelessness is different to lack of receipts equalling carelessness. That is easily as impolite as replying to your absolute question with another absolute question.

I agree that debate here is pointless, as we will each buy from whoever we see fit.

Soldato
You also need the serial off the stock HSF.

When I was talking with someone from Intel's RMA department, they told me that all I needed to do was provide them with the information off the CPU's IHS and also the fan serial number, they didn't say anything about proof of purchase.

If you look in that link above, it says they MAY require proof of purchase, like I said, when I was looking to RMA one of my previous 920's, they never asked me for any proof of purchase, they sent me the RMA request form and was quite happy for me to send them my chip.

Did they send you back a C0 or D0 stepping 920 as an American was going nutz on IRC chat the other week as they replaced his D0 with the older C0. :D

Back
Top Bottom