Wireless signal strength

Associate
Currently using the following.

Netgear DG834G v2 firmware V3.01.38

ASUS P5K-E onboard motherboard wireless.
ASUS WiFi-AP Solo Version 6.6.16.1

Channel 11 (2462Mhz)

Used wireless for what must be a year now, without changing a single setting in either router settings or the ASUS wifi driver.

One day it just starts fluctuating In Signal Strength and so Data Rate. Anywhere from 54Mbps to 1Mbps. Will change often once a minute and results in frequent loss of conectivity to gaming servers though web browsing doesn't seem to be effected too much.

I've connected to my router using Powerline networking for the past few months but as I've found out they seem to come with problems of their own so I'm looking to get back on to wireless which ran perfectly for such a long time. I don't have a second router to check what the problem is but is there anyway I can narrow it down?

I don't mind buying a new router but I'd like to confirm that as the problem if possible before doing so.

Associate
As K.C said its likely a neighbour's wireless network could be causing interferance. Our next door neighbour rcently got BT & their BT HomeHub kept conflicting with our network i.e. dropping the connection in the bedroom's & the speeds going up and down like a yo yo and I changed mine from the original Auto (not sure what channel it was on originally) to channel 1 and it seemed to fix the interferance. If you have got a cordless phone make sure that the router is no where near it as they can cause a lot of interferance with wireless networks too as they also operate on the same 2.4ghz band.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom