Sat Navs

Soldato
I've heard that you can get Sat Nav devices (or download the appropriate software/maps to your Sat Nav) that warn you about speed cameras. Does anyone here use one and, if so, do you find it helpful in avoiding speeding fines?

Associate
Dont you know that speeding is illegal !?

If you really want the software / program that has a list of current speed cameras then go to the website of the satnav that you own - generally downloadable at a cost. My TomTom One XL came with speed camera locations already programmed in but any updates i will have to pay for.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Safety camera locations in my Garmin nuvi 310 are pretty accurate; it beeps for fixed locations (in both directions) and known mobile camera locations (obviously, regardless of whether there's one there - but it's good to know).

And yes, speeding is illegal. But on the off chance you're watching the road instead of your speedo and have accidentally crept up to 75 on a motorway, a satnav beep can save you points and pounds :)

Soldato
I really dont know why you would need them anyway - SPEEDING IS ILLEGAL so dont do it.

:rolleyes:

When in an area I don't know and there are no road signs as to the limit and I spot a camera it's nice for my SatNav to say '30 camera' or whatever the speed is, to make sure I'm not exceeding the limit of the road.

Associate
http://www.pogogps.com/

Cams on sat nav are a pain in the rear. I just pop my pogo on the mount, it auto starts and within a minute I am getting info on cams.

Use my phone for sat nav, not that often mind. Would be a pain to use it for cams also.

BTW. PogoGPS is the new versioin of OriginB2.

Caporegime
Sat Navs are great as a driver aid, trouble is, people tend to follow them literally and ignore common sence. They also seem to think that Sat Nav = no need for a road map as this muppet found out to his cost.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8254387.stm

A supermarket lorry has became stuck in mud off a remote road, after the driver wrongly coded in sat nav directions.

The truck is understood to have been on its way to a store in Caernarfon, Gwynedd, with 40 tonnes of stock.

It became stranded around 40 miles (64 km) away at Cwm Pennaner, between Frongoch and Cerrigydrudion, Conwy.

The lorry belongs to the Stobart Group, which said the agency driver was "inexperienced". It apologised and said it hoped to remove the lorry later.

"The driver has driven three miles down the unclassified road before coming stuck in mud," said Farmers' Union of Wales officer Gwyn Williams.

He said similar errors happened too often and advised drivers to use a map instead.

"It appears that the driver has followed the instructions on the sat nav," said Mr Williams.

He said that after coming off the M6 the lorry has been directed to Bala and then told to turn at Frongoch, and then on to the unclassified road for Cwm Pennaner.

"This kind of thing happens far too often and we, as an union, are asking drivers to ignore sat navs, use common sense and read a map," he added.

No, it was not me! :D

Interesting to see the BBC accurately (not!) reporting that the truck was carrying 40 tons of stock! - given that the maximum weight for an artic in the UK is 44 tons, that must be one very light tractor & trailer..... ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Garmin and it has fixed speed camera detector. It is helpful but I only use it when I need to get somewhere and I dont know where Im going, however if I dont know where Im going I normally stick to the speed limit just in case theres a police office with a gun waiting to pouce.

Soldato
OP
I really dont know why you would need them anyway - SPEEDING IS ILLEGAL so dont do it.

Say you're driving on a motorway. It's late/early enough for there to be very little/no traffic but not so late/early that you feel tired. You're familiar with this particular stretch of road and weather conditions are fine. You're in a rush to get to your destination but it's not an emergency. In these circumstances would you stick to the speed limit or would you floor it? For me, that's a no brainer, so long as I know where the speed cameras are.

Soldato
Say you're driving on a motorway. It's late/early enough for there to be very little/no traffic but not so late/early that you feel tired. You're familiar with this particular stretch of road and weather conditions are fine. You're in a rush to get to your destination but it's not an emergency. In these circumstances would you stick to the speed limit or would you floor it? For me, that's a no brainer, so long as I know where the speed cameras are.

If you're familiar with the stretch of road, then you don't need a sat-nav to tell you where the speed cameras are.

Back
Top Bottom