Derren Brown - outdone himself this time?

Soldato
Makes no odds. Still not subliminal since we all saw it. Thats a limitation of the medium.

The real subliminal things are the ones we didn't see...

Just because people saw it doesn't mean it isn't a subliminal message. Nevermind the fact that not everyone saw it as a fair few people on the forums here didn't.

I think you should look up what a subliminal message actually is.

It's an image that isn't supposed to be seen, not that can't be seen.

Soldato
Did anyone record this in HQ and could upload it for download?

Didn't work for me and the missus and want to try again :)

I recorded it through Vista Media Centre, it's over 2GB in size though, and going by all the flashing images and potential advertising that probably "helped" it may take me quite a while to upload it :o

Associate
J

I think you should look up what a subliminal message actually is.

It's an image that isn't supposed to be seen, not that can't be seen.

http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/subliminal

Sub`lim´i`nal
a. 1. (Philos.) Existing in the mind, but below the surface or threshold of consciousness; that is, existing as feeling rather than as clear ideas.
2. having or using an intensity of sensory stimulus insufficient to be perceived consciously, but having an effect on unconscious mental processes; as, subliminal advertising.

We saw it and identified it therefore not below the threshold of consciouness.

Last edited:
Associate
Worked on my girlfriend, was quite funny stole her corneto that she put down before it and tickled and threw the cats on her to make sure she wasnt faking. On sky plus so rewound it and tried it again same happened, was tempted to pause it and leave her for a while but she began shouting. Weird though...

Oh and on the toyshop/giraffe bit I wasn't paying attention (cats = better than Derren Brown) and when he asked do you have/giraffe a favorite, I said to my girl friend, 'what was that something about a giraffe?'

Also when rewinding it to try it again, a fried chicken advert popped up when i went from rewind to play but that was just the sky+ being weird me thinks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn, it didn't work on me. :p I have to say though, I think the fact a disco was going on in the room next to where I was watching it, and the fact I had a power cut soon before it was begin didn't help. :(

Associate
I'm guessing that the big speech he did before the video was the actual persuasive part, and that the spinning lines bit was just a distraction and an attempt to add to the sensation.

Soldato
Mr Brown is a very clever man, the programme was called 'Control the Nation' and he did control the entire nation by making everyone stand up when he said to try and stand up, the whole nation tried to stand up... he 'controlled the nation' Another clever thing was that people were glued to their seats... glued to their seats watching the ... programme waiting to see what happened, he actually made the nation look stupid, everyone fell for it, everyone was glued to their seats, and he controlled them all :)

Just my 2p

Caporegime
Didn't work on me. Watched it on my pvr so missed the ads, but prepared to believe they were part of it. As has been said, the real persuasive part was in what he said before the film. He went on about how if you were very perceptive or open and whatnot then it would work on you. He used a lot of favourable words to describe the people it you affect, which would make you want to be affected.

Soldato
Didn't work on me. Watched it on my pvr so missed the ads, but prepared to believe they were part of it. As has been said, the real persuasive part was in what he said before the film. He went on about how if you were very perceptive or open and whatnot then it would work on you. He used a lot of favourable words to describe the people it you affect, which would make you want to be affected.

Yeah, I watched it on Sky+ and skipped the adverts. I agree with the rest of your post, it was all about what he said before. I thought it sounded a lot like a relaxation/meditation script, get people to totally relax and focus on their body feeling heavy then "releasing" them by giving the wake up speech. I assume the video was just to help viewers clear their mind, not much to think about and calming music.

I can see why it would work, if I do proper relaxation then I find my body too heavy to move properly until I "wake up" again.

EDIT: I'm surprised some people didn't see the person tied to the chair, it was fairly obvious when it flashed up.

Associate
I tried the first time over with my partner he said "stand up" and I just got up. Then I thought I'd try again on +1 alone because I felt a bit giggly/skeptical the first time over. Second time I'd drunk quite a bit of whiskey so felt generally more relaxed. Did it. Concentrated all I could. Felt for a second "I might not be able to get up" but when I actually tried to physically get up no probs at all. On FB though some statuses say they felt heavy and on Twitter doing a search reveals quite a lot of people felt "stuck".

So it does work but you need to be vulnerable to mental suggestions. Perhaps maybe a bit gullable too? My boss recently trained in Neuro Linguistic Programming and we talked about how DB just chooses the right predictable people to experiment on.

I don't for one second believe that members of the general public would willingly give pound notes to a homeless guy who quite obviously had hundreds of pounds in his cup. Let alone take his ****** shoes off and walk off bare foot!

Back
Top Bottom