Derren Brown - outdone himself this time?

Soldato
Worked on 2 people out of 7 tonight, but 2 of those sat on the floor so couldn't get in the correct position. One of them said he had heavy arms for a few minutes after being able to stand up.

Didn't work on me but I wasn't really concentrating, hopefully give it another go tomorrow on Sky+ with a more open mind.

Associate
I think if you concentrate enough and get into a relaxed state your muscles will feel relaxed. Add that with the suggestions from Derren and the subliminal messages your mind will trick you into feel heavy.

It's easy via meditation to feel heavy, it's just a case of your mind tricking you into believing!

I don't think I'll find DB utterly convincing until he tries to trick me!

Soldato
Watched this last night with my best mate, my gf her mum and her sister

Her sister burst out laughing the second it started.
I got really bad pins and needles in the ends of my fingers which stopped suddenly after :/
The other 3 just said their legs felt really heavy

Would have loved for one of us to having something a little more conclusive, not sure wether missing some of the adverts or sitting at a diaganol to the tv has made a difference, but either way i love watching his stuff and just really hope hes not just BSing about it all :p

Soldato
So it does work but you need to be vulnerable to mental suggestions. Perhaps maybe a bit gullable too? My boss recently trained in Neuro Linguistic Programming and we talked about how DB just chooses the right predictable people to experiment on.

So true.

Notice how DB inferred that if you are intelligent/creative, you will be more likely to get stuck to your chair. I don't believe that for a second, however, I know for a fact that many out there would've believed this and would've tried hard to ensure the trick worked on them.

Some people are easy to persuade. Similar techniques are used in sales and marketing strategies where some people will actually end up paying a lot of money for something that they don't actually need and have simply been effected by the marketing.

Other people like myself, tend to be less susceptible to the power of suggestion.

Another factor is 'pressure'. If you are an audience member and very conscious of people looking at you, you are more likely to behave in a manner that is appropriate to what is expected of you and probably more likely to fall under DB's suggestions.

For those who were smiling and laughing during the experiment - this is quite normal. You were about to be subject to a "trick". You knew what the trick was and you wanted to see if worked. You were excited. This is very similar to if someone stopped you on the street and performed an impressive magic trick - throughout the trick you would have a grin on your face as you want to be entertained...we all do.

For those of you who were sitting down on the floor and then struggled to get up - this again is quite normal. With many people, after they have been sitting on the floor for a good period of time, upon getting up, they sometimes feel a little dizzy and need a few seconds/minutes to find their bearings. During this time, the blood circulation is also likely to have been poor and therefore having a strange sensation in your extremities is quite normal. Once standing up, any strange sensations should quickly dissipate.

I assure you that DB doesn't have any mind controlling powers. The power is all in your own minds.

I don't for one second believe that members of the general public would willingly give pound notes to a homeless guy who quite obviously had hundreds of pounds in his cup. Let alone take his ****** shoes off and walk off bare foot!

Damn straight. The guy who gave his shoes, also gave his socks, which is completely irrational, given that the tramp had socks of his own. I would personally like to give him a slap for being so gullible - by all means give the homeless person some cash, maybe some food, maybe even clothes...but your socks???

Permabanned
Mr Brown is a very clever man, the programme was called 'Control the Nation' and he did control the entire nation by making everyone stand up when he said to try and stand up, the whole nation tried to stand up... he 'controlled the nation' Another clever thing was that people were glued to their seats... glued to their seats watching the ... programme waiting to see what happened, he actually made the nation look stupid, everyone fell for it, everyone was glued to their seats, and he controlled them all :)

Just my 2p

He didn't control me at all...

Soldato
He did control you, by telling you to try to stand up, you did as he said and stood up. He also did stick you to your chair, by making you sit there trying his experiment you were stuck to your chair.

Play on words...

Do you honestly believe that's what the whole show was about?

Permabanned
He did control you, by telling you to try to stand up, you did as he said and stood up. He also did stick you to your chair, by making you sit there trying his experiment you were stuck to your chair.

Play on words...

That wasn't controlling, I willingly did that. As I said I didn't try to stand up when I was told I used my legs to grab orange juice and watched another minute or so of the programme, I then thought "That's it?" after that I got up and went on OcUK to post a cynical response.

Soldato
Do you honestly believe that's what the whole show was about?

I honestly believe it was a load of rubbish, just like his predicting of the lottery numbers, the gullible people of our nation will take it all in however.

Why wouldn't a recording of the show work?, why did you have to watch it live for it to work? Numbers, they wanted as many people as possible watching that show and all those adverts.

A whole lot of people fell for his trick, however he didn't lie to you, he did control the nation and he did glue you to your seat, just not in the way you thought he would.

Back
Top Bottom