Windows 7 Availability

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a new laptop but the majority are still being shipped with vista. When do you think they'll start shipping them with windows 7 instead?

I know some places already do, or do it with an upgrade voucher of sorts, but I'm looking at a certain outlet store (who have no windows 7 laptops) so I'd imagine they'll be even further beind than brand new laptops.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Release date is October 22... so I'd imagine PC manufacturers will ship with Win7 from then! :)

Associate
Those shipped with Vista now should have a Windows 7 upgrade token with them ready for public release on the 22nd of October.

Soldato
OP
Those shipped with Vista now should have a Windows 7 upgrade token with them ready for public release on the 22nd of October.

Would that can't for refurbed ones from a outlet store though? I wouldn't have thought so, and I didn't see anything about it on the website (although I can't get on there now to double check for some reason).

Soldato
I got the pro version free on MSDN, muahahaha, not the RC, full thing.

No way??
You mean...you can get the full version, not the RC right now?
Are you sure?
I bet it's really the RC you've got isn't it.
Nobody has the final version right now - so stop lying!

</sarc>

So - how do you have access to MSDN?
Are you using the MSDN version of Windows 7 fully within the licence agreement?
You do know that MSDN licenses are vastly different to retail and OEM don't you?

Associate
Would that can't for refurbed ones from a outlet store though? I wouldn't have thought so, and I didn't see anything about it on the website (although I can't get on there now to double check for some reason).

New ones only I'm afraid unless the site is being very generous :(

Associate

true, my friends got new notebook and got free upgrade to win7 from vista.
but... i read a test how long will take to upgrade from vista to win7 and it was from 1-2h (hi end pcs) to over 1000min (low end pcs).

Soldato
So work with your laptop for a month then spend a day upgrading it and hoping it works.

I'd rather wait a month :D

Also I thought manufacturers already had the final version of Win 7 so expect to see laptops onsale the weekend after launch.

Probably can't give any before since it still won't "officially" be supported.

Associate
true, my friends got new notebook and got free upgrade to win7 from vista.
but... i read a test how long will take to upgrade from vista to win7 and it was from 1-2h (hi end pcs) to over 1000min (low end pcs).

that sounds like it's receiving the data via smoke signals!

I suppose it depends how it's implemented by Microsoft at the end of the day and I haven't seen anything on how they intend to carry out the updates.

Associate
So - how do you have access to MSDN?
Are you using the MSDN version of Windows 7 fully within the licence agreement?
You do know that MSDN licenses are vastly different to retail and OEM don't you?

Lol you people are so easy to wind up.

Anyway, i have access to msdn through my uni, and since when does anyone ever read the license agreement? As long as its for personal use its fine, or so i've been told. Used plently of thier software before and had no issues.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
As long as its for personal use its fine, or so i've been told.

Actually, the MSDN:AA license only allows you to use the software for educational/testing purposes.
using it on your main machine to play games and go on the forums doesn't count.

Used plently of thier software before and had no issues.
just because you've never had issues doesn't mean you're in any way using the software legally.

Associate
Actually, the MSDN:AA license only allows you to use the software for educational/testing purposes.
using it on your main machine to play games and go on the forums doesn't count.
It's including educational/testing purposes, not only. Commercial use is the only exclusion.

Student Use Agreement said:
You may use the software for non-commercial purposes including instructional use, research and/or design, and development and testing of projects for class assignments, tests, or personal projects. You may not use MSDNAA software for any for-profit software development.

Back
Top Bottom