Windows standby

Associate
Is windows standby failsafe in as much as it reactivates with the shake of a mouse like screensaver does.
I am a PC user of many years and have never used it. As I have my PC at one end of my lounge and my TV at the other, I often find the PC noise distracting - but don't want to turn it off.
The PC I have now is noisier than my 3 previous ones and fancy giving the standby feature a go.
I use XP Home and would welcome some advice re. a) standby's guarantee to kick back in, and b) some advice on settings.
Thanks for your help.

Don
Go into the BIOS and set the sleep mode to 'S3'

In S3 sleep mode, the pc will look like it's off, no fans will spin and no hard drives will be on.

The ram will still have power running through them (keeping everything in memory for a fast resume)

When you click your mouse, it'll jump back into action in about 1-2 seconds

I always use sleep mode on all my pc's

What spec is your pc, replacing the fans with Silenx Redwing fans could be a good solution for you :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice.
UI am not too sure of the spec of the PC. I had a lightning strike / power surge and needed a repair in a hurry.
All I know was that I had a new ASUS MB and an AMD PSU apart from that I am in the dark. I shall not touch the PC as when I'm using it, I am not too bothered. It is just disconcerting sometimes hearing it from the other end of the room. But I still want it on and so the standby issue was raised.
BTW is your method the same, better or what in comparison from doing it within windows power management option

Associate
Can you get this to work with a wireless mouse/keyboard?

I didn't think enough power was sent to the interface unit to allow the mouse/keyboard to wake up the PC from standby?

Back
Top Bottom