Learning to drive: Petrol vs Diesel

Associate
Ive been learning to drive in a Ford Focus 1.8L turbo diesel for some time. I’ve had around 30-35 hours with an instructor and have my test booked for 3 weeks time.

My instructor has told me that he will be getting a new car the week before my test of the same make and model, but it will be a 1.4L petrol instead.

I’ve heard from friends that Petrol’s are harder in terms of clutch control than their diesel counterparts, and that I will probably have trouble getting used to it at first and stall a lot?

I have always been taught to use the clutch/break without using the accelerator at all for manoeuvres and edging forward at junctions/traffic queues, but I have heard this will not be possible in a petrol. Is this true?

Caporegime
Yes this is true.

I had to change from Diesel to Petrol ON the day of my test, it took me about 15 mins to become accustomed to it. Just use a few more revs and you'll be fine.

Soldato
I have always been taught to use the clutch/break without using the accelerator at all for manoeuvres and edging forward at junctions/traffic queues, but I have heard this will not be possible in a petrol. Is this true?

Yes you will need to use the throttle whilst reversing and travelling at low speeds, as the car isn't as torquey. It'll stall if you don't give it any beans.

Just so long as you have a couple of hours in your instructor's new car before your test, you'll be fine.

Associate
Yeah, a few more revs are needed. You've got a bit less room for error with a petrol. After driving my 1.4 diesel Fiesta for nearly two years I switched to an RX-8 and stalled it about 3/4 times in the first week at junctions due to not concentrating properly/being too used to the diesel pull.

Associate
As above, significantly less torque from the petrol means you need to balance the throttle with the clutch when pulling away. You'll get used to it easy enough.

Associate
I learnt in a diesel and the first time I drove a petrol was when I bought my first car, I stalled about a million times coming back from Bristol. It took me a while to get used to.

Soldato
I really wouldnt panic about it - its not harder, just different - if you're worthy of passing your test you'll get used to it in no time ;)

Associate
I did my test and all my learning in a 1.6 mk1 focus and all the test manoeuvres were possible with clutch and brakes only ;)

Different story after the test with a 1.0 swift though!

Soldato
As everyone has said, you just need to give it a few revs when pulling off in a petrol. i learnt in a diesel and then passed, came home and jumped straight into a petrol car and drove it fine

Caporegime
I’m thinking perhaps I should try and get a cancelation to move my test a bit nearer before I have to change car...

Why are you panicing so much? It's perfectly doable. I only had two hours with the petrol before my test and I was fine. Don't make it a mental obstacle because it's not a big deal!

Soldato
It depends on the car but with a 1.4 petrol I'd imagine you'd indeed have to use the throttle more, though it depends, if I have to go uphill in my car while reversing I have to use the throttle a bit or it will stall, on flat bits I don't have to use the throttle when reversing or going forward though, but then again, I have a 2.0 petrol not a 1.4...

Soldato
The amount of throttle you'll need to use could vary from none to a fair bit, depending on a lot of factors - the car in question, the incline you're at - even how fat your examiner is..

Soldato
If you are genuinely prepared for your test, you should be able to adapt to any kind of car. You should get at least a couple of runs out in the new car before the test itself which should be more than enough time to adapt to the small differences.

Soldato
Im more worried that you need 35 hours of lessons . Thats quite shocking . And i have found that people struggle comming from a petrol to a diesel rather than the other way about.. All the people that drive my derv always stall it .

Persil

Associate
OP
Im more worried that you need 35 hours of lessons . Thats quite shocking . And i have found that people struggle comming from a petrol to a diesel rather than the other way about.. All the people that drive my derv always stall it .

Persil

National average is 40 + 20 hours private practice.

Anyway I have been ready for some time but had to wait 8 weeks for the test and carried on taking 2 hour weekly lessons in that time. Also im nearly 25 so I won't pick it up as easilly as a 17 year old.

Soldato
So are you trying to beat the average ? I think a lot of these instructors are just milking students and i dont think at 25 you will learn any slower . Infact you should be better given you have a more sensible head on yer shoulders .

Persil

Soldato
It depends on the car but with a 1.4 petrol I'd imagine you'd indeed have to use the throttle more, though it depends, if I have to go uphill in my car while reversing I have to use the throttle a bit or it will stall, on flat bits I don't have to use the throttle when reversing or going forward though, but then again, I have a 2.0 petrol not a 1.4...

With my 1.4 petrol I can go through all the gears on clutch control only, on the level. Haven't really thought about it on inclines. But then my car weighs ~900kg :)

Back
Top Bottom