Powerline Ethernet adapter

Associate
Don't have that particular brand name ones, but have been using Homeplugs for the past few years without a hitch. (though some people do report a few problems)
Recommended imo, especially if they're going cheap!

Soldato
I've got the Powerline HD ones, the supposed 200mbps but the wiring in my flat will only transmit at 89mbps, not enough for full HD movies. Apart from that they are pretty good for reducing the need for cables or wireless everywhere... But to be honest you're better off with Wireless N (and the an external wireless unit for the box or the new MS one if you want to try and transmit HD quality).... Basically after all my waffeling, they are fine for gaming and general use but crap for HD movies and streaming.

Caporegime
Could you send a magic wake on lan packet across these? Does it work as ordinary ethernet? I'm looking at a setup that could need a wake on lan element to it which you can't do with wireless.

Soldato
I tried some, worked ok just couldn't stream HD content over them..... It seemed just a bit better then wireless but still not good enough for a 2.5 GB or higher HD movie.....

Seems if you want to stream HD then wired is still the best method... Shame as my router is upstairs and my PS3 downstairs, so until I cat 5 my house, seems HD movie playback for me is still via good old transfer to PS3 HDD or use a memory stick or USB HDD.... Which limits me to 4GB files...

I can see why you're interested in them, I was too.... shame they just seem to be hit n miss in regards to how well they work in your homes electrical wiring...

Soldato
Could you send a magic wake on lan packet across these? Does it work as ordinary ethernet? I'm looking at a setup that could need a wake on lan element to it which you can't do with wireless.

I would imagine so as you simply plug a cable in to the lan port on the PC and then the powerline unit. It simply sees it as connected via LAN, you can only tell its powerline is when you run the proprietry software and it tells you the connection speeds etc.

Back
Top Bottom