• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD score huge DX11 contract with Dell

Soldato
AMD clearly has an unhealthy obsession with luring Dell away from Intel. Nothing else can explain why, having damaged its reputation with the channel so badly in 2007 when a shortage of desktop CPUs coincided with the launch of a new AMD based desktop range from Dell, it looks set to repeat the debacle with the launch of its ATI Radeon HD 5800 series graphics cards.

Sauces have revealed that AMD has committed a large proportion of these cards to Dell, so that the PC maker can launch a new range of Direct X 11 (DX11) compatible gaming desktops to coincide with the launch of Microsoft's new Windows 7 operating system.

DX11 is the next generation of Microsoft's API, which promises improved graphics performance. For games to exploit this, they not only have to be written using DX11, but need to be run on a Windows 7 PC with a DX11 supporting graphics card. The HD 5800 series will be the only DX11 cards available at the time of the Windows 7 launch on 22 October.

Dell must have made AMD an offer it couldn't refuse to persuade it to once again starve other OEMs and its channel of a popular component. AMD initially strongly denied that the shortage of its Athlon 64 CPUs was related to the Dell deal, but we have yet to hear a satisfactory alternative explanation.

It could be that these Dell systems are going to offer the Full Monty AMD platform experience - CPU, graphics and chipset - and that AMD considers this the perfect showcase for its platform message

Mixed with

***** has sampled a selection of sauces, and they're telling tales about how AMD won't be able to keep up with initial orders for its upcoming Radeon graphics cards.

Garnished with reports of a demand that's been unprecedented in recent years, the Radeon menu looks likely to be a three course serving of sweet and sour for AMD.

As an appealing appetiser, ***** has established that advance orders for AMD's upcoming ATI Radeon HD 5870 and Radeon HD 5850 haven't just simmered, the dish has boiled over, which is more than some quarters of AMD seem to have hoped, let alone planned for.

Further helpings of sauce reveal that AMD AIB partners in EMEA, have (unbeknownst to each of their competitors) been thrilled by the size of their own portion of the pre-order pie. ***** was served up such sizzling quotes as "we can't believe the [high level of] demand", "I've never seen this in years" and "we could sell everything we can get our hands on".

And our inspection of the steamy kitchen even revealed one AMD chef, blinking in incredulity at their cookie of good fortune, who exclaimed "it's ********* amazing!"

Not wanting to waste a good metaphor, it looks like the Chez Radeon is fully booked for weeks to come. However, there still remains the small matter of serving up the dishes...

Sign of things to come?

Soldato
You missed

Our intel is that there will be between 50,000 and 100,000 HD 5800 series cards produced in the initial 40 nm TSMC run, with a ratio of around 4:1 in favour of the 5870 over the 5850. We also gather that the channel - as opposed to OEMs - is likely to only get around ten percent of this.

Not many cards left over for the rest of us. Don't see prices lowering for a while.

Soldato
OP
Did you read any of it PGDude?!

AMD suffered a shortage of Athlon back in the day after they scored a similar deal hopefully the reports of shortages of the 5800's for the retail channel isn't related..

Soldato
DX11 is the next generation of Microsoft's API, which promises improved graphics performance. For games to exploit this, they not only have to be written using DX11, but need to be run on a Windows 7 PC with a DX11 supporting graphics card.

Uh yeah, it looks like these guys really know what they are talking about.. even though Vista will be able to run DX11.

D13

D13

Associate
Good for AMD, but for us.

If the succeed with this venture then they can afford to up their prices :(

yes but we cant hope ati fail out of concern for prices. The one big factor in prices is how fierce the competition is, as long as nvidia dominates in performance/market share, ati wont be able to let prices go too high.

I cant remmber where I read this but apparently ati wanted 4*** range to be cheaper so they could make a bigger impact on market share but the ati partners wanted prices to stay higher

Associate
well I'd never buy a dell and if these cards are going into higher spec systems I don't know anyone who is that into games and not to know anything about computers and how bad dell are

Soldato
In the long run it might be good for us, even if we don't know it, just because it'd likely even out the marketshare between ATi and Nvidia closer to a 50/50 split, which means both companies would be playing on an even playing field - i.e. we'd likely see several huge price wars whilst they both try to gain dominance over one another at that tipping point.

Soldato
Did you read any of it PGDude?!

AMD suffered a shortage of Athlon back in the day after they scored a similar deal hopefully the reports of shortages of the 5800's for the retail channel isn't related..

Trust me, I read it, and I know it's a good thing for AMD/ATi, but Dell do overprice all of their products, y'know.

Associate
I see f7 couldn't save the writer 'sauces'? oh dear... anyway, good news for AMD/ATi there, should speed up the uptake of DX11 now they have at least 1major retailer on their side building machines from the start, and I would image Microsoft are happy about that too with their migration to DX11 goals with Windows 7.

Associate
well I'd never buy a dell and if these cards are going into higher spec systems I don't know anyone who is that into games and not to know anything about computers and how bad dell are

Nothing wrong with Dell's imho. Obviously you are a complete mug if you buy it at their face value, but with loads of vouchers, workarounds etc, you can get quite a bit of pc fairly cheaply, often with a long ass warranty included.

Granted it won't appeal to the hardcore, eat my cpu overclockers, but its actually quite pleasant having to do bugger all if something goes wrong.

Caporegime
I remember this happenning with the x800/x850, lot of rumours going around at the time that ati were flogging the vast majority to dell and letting consumers buy the leftovers.

Associate
Didaco - there were a lot of kitchen references in that article

DX11 is the next generation of Microsoft's API, which promises improved graphics performance. For games to exploit this, they not only have to be written using DX11, but need to be run on a Windows 7 PC with a DX11 supporting graphics card.

clearly clueless and not just for Win7 gaffe

Back
Top Bottom