Best OS - 4gb ram with a 32bit cpu

Associate
Hi,
i recently upgraded from 2gb of ram to 4gb of ram.
im currently using 32bit xp and its only showing 3gb.

my CPU is - a 32bit T2700 Core Duo

my question is, can i use a 64bit XP OS with a 32bit cpu, obviously my cpu wouldnt gain anything but it could utilize all my RAM.
if not, what is my best option?
Are they're any fixes for xp 32bit to see all the RAM?

Can Windows 7 32bit read 4gig of ram?

I prefer XP to any other Os so i'd much rather get that working than anything else.

Thanks for your time :)

Associate
no a 64bit os would not work on a 32 bit os and no windows 7 32bit will not be able to read 4gig of ram.

if you prefer XP then get XP Pro 32 or vista business 32.

Soldato
I don't believe you can even install a 64bit OS on a 32bit only CPU - it will simply tell you no.

There is no "fix" on XP/Vista/Windows 7 to use all the RAM, it's a numbers problem.
The only way you could do it is with Windows 2003 Server and use the PAE switch.
This fools the OS into using all the RAM - probably not the best desktop OS though.

Soldato
I don't believe you can even install a 64bit OS on a 32bit only CPU - it will simply tell you no.

Correct - you can't install 64-bit Windows on a 32-bit CPU. Nor can 32-bit Windows access 4GB RAM.

Your choice is either to upgrade the CPU or use 32-bit Windows and get ~3GB RAM. Personally I think XP is a waste with that kind of spec, but each to his own...

Associate
OP
Thanks massivley for the help all :)
Correct - you can't install 64-bit Windows on a 32-bit CPU. Nor can 32-bit Windows access 4GB RAM.

Your choice is either to upgrade the CPU or use 32-bit Windows and get ~3GB RAM. Personally I think XP is a waste with that kind of spec, but each to his own...

cheers mate, why is xp a waste of spec?
what would you suggest?
surely if i can only use 32bit OS's then it will be the same problem no matter what OS

Also CPU-z tells me my motherboard is an intel 945PM Express Chipset
Can that support 64bit cpu's? (how do you find this out?)
and what cpu would be good?
thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP

There is no "fix" on XP/Vista/Windows 7 to use all the RAM, it's a numbers problem.
The only way you could do it is with Windows 2003 Server and use the PAE switch.
This fools the OS into using all the RAM - probably not the best desktop OS though.
Thanks for the top advice dude.
Ill look into it :)

Back
Top Bottom