What to do & where to stay in Singapore?

Soldato
I'll be there alone for a few days early in February as a stop over back from NewZealand and I'd like to hear from anyone who has been

I've had a quick read up on a few tourist websites but there's nothing like first hand advice :)

So... what area is best to stay? hotel recommendations? activities?

Soldato
I went there last year, i enjoyed it quite a bit.

Try Clarke Quay, its a tourist area, lots of good resturants cant really go wrong!

http://www.clarkequay.com.sg/

Sentosa Island is very nice, relaxing and again a tourist Area.

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/

The Zoo is huge and a very nice day out, check out their Night Safari lots of good fun.

http://www.zoo.com.sg/

And do the obvious and have a singapore sling at Raffles hotel. You can stay there too, if your feeling plush!

http://www.raffles.com/EN_RA/Property/RHS/

Associate
+1 for the zoo! It's the best one I've ever been to by a long chalk. The way it's designed makes you feel as though you are actually "in" with the animals. Try to time your visit to follow the feeding tour.

Soldato
I'm there in exactly 1 month! I've got 3 days!

The zoo and the night safari are my main items.

Of course, I will have a singapore sling in raffles.

Soldato
OP
Yeah raffles is a bit too expensive.

I'm saying at a nice and cheerful IBIS - the one on Bencoolen. Should do the job!

gonna look at that

edit: no rooms on the dates i'm there :/

did 2 weeks backpacking there after i finished at college years ago and loved every minute of it :D would love to go back but the missus wants a hols in the states :(

what did you get upto?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hop on/off bus tour is a good way to get a feel for some of the sights.... we were only there for a day unfortunately so didn't get a chance to do much. Spent slightly longer in Hong Kong which is dirtier and I'd probably have preferred longer in singapore if I'm honest.

I was very surprised by how cheap it was though in terms of souvenirs etc.

Caporegime
Definitely go to the Zoo if you get some time, it's astonishingly good! We went to a food market, whose name I forget, but your concierge would help you with this. Very nice food, although the constant touting/harassing for business can be a little trying depending on your temperament.

I'd recommend the Pacific Hotel both for their customer service and for the rooms. We had an excellent stay with them. Here's their page

Singapore is a great place to visit. Enjoy!

Soldato
OP
The Pacific hotel looks very nice but slightly more than my budget

the travel agent who I booked my flights with today recommended the zoo but told me the night safari is pap

Associate
Cocktails at Raffles = Rip Off. Go if you must, but you will feel distinctly lighter in the wallet area afterwards. A very nice place to spend the evening is over the road from Raffles; it's called Chijmes and has about 20 bars and restaurants in the grounds of an old convent school.

For electronics and cameras etc, Sim Lim square houses a lot of shops (400ish) in a small location. A word of advice, be very definite before you go about what you want: most places will have a load of models on display but will only carry stock of end of life models or whatever thay can buy in bulk. If you ask about a particular model they will "phone the warehouse" to check stock etc, and then try the hard sell on the model they have loads of while you wait. It's a PITA shopping there to be honest, i ended up getting the camcorder i wanted online after wasting half a day there. www.visitsingapore.com has some good info on tax and customs etc, as well as a list of tips on buying electronics. Funan Mall is pretty good for IT stuff. Oh, Creative gear is very cheap in Singapore, it's made there!

Other stuff to do: Night cruise of the harbour is fun (leaves from Collier Quay, last about an hour and a half), Little India and Little China are well worth a visit, and wandering up and down Orchard Road shopping can easily kill a day.

Soldato
OP
I don't plan to do any shopping really, it sounds similar to shopping in Hongkong which I hated.

I just want a few days to chill and a few activities, I'll be having a Singapore Sling in the Raffles though, I don't mind paying over the odds for that tbh just to say I've had it :)

Back
Top Bottom