Spec Me an MP3 player.

Permabanned
OK, so im looking at buying an MP3 player that is a good performer and has good sound quality, all volume is a must, nothing is better than silly loud music!

Ive looked at the Ipod's, i just cant justify £200 + for a decent Touch + proper ear-phones...

Also i wont be listening to the music on the bus or train....not that chavy!

Any thing out there to look at?

P.S. I have been using my phone, its a PITA to use the music, have to use the screen to change tune! (Samsung S8300)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What about the Sony X series?

sony_x_series_walkman.jpg

Andy

Soldato
any of the new sony ones are awesome, decent sound quality and nice and cheap, think 16gb ones are about £120 or thereabouts
Failing that, the Sansa fuze is a decent machine, with expandable memory, which makes it cheaper, but an 8gb and increase it to 16gb

but as for headphones, get some Sehnheisers, they're the best I've ever had, couldn't hear a concert over them :D

Permabanned
OP
If it helps, i did have one of those Creative Stone's, with some £40 Sony headphones, i lost it, think i left it in my mates car, he traded the bugger in, i was gutted!

EDIT: Best price i can get a Sony X Series for is £170, thats the 16Gb, What good 'phones should i grab? I dont like earphones, or head phones, only those little tiny ones that go right inside your ear, my ears are wierd, and there the only ones that fit properly and have good sound!

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OK, so im looking at buying an MP3 player that is a good performer and has good sound quality, all volume is a must, nothing is better than silly loud music!

Ive looked at the Ipod's, i just cant justify £200 + for a decent Touch + proper ear-phones...

Also i wont be listening to the music on the bus or train....not that chavy!

Any thing out there to look at?

P.S. I have been using my phone, its a PITA to use the music, have to use the screen to change tune! (Samsung S8300)

I bought a new mp3 player a couple of days ago. I used to have a Zen Stone too and loved it but I'll be going away soon and need something with more capacity. The other thing about the Stone is that is was slightly irritating that you couldn't see what you were playing sometimes, especially on albums that have long silent ambient intros - I didn't know what I was supposed to be listening to.

So I bought a Sansa Fuze on the weekend. £50 for 4GB [and 8GB is only £65]. It has great sound and the screen quality is very good. It looks and feels far more expensive than it is. You have to convert videos to mpeg4 to get them to play but really it's a music player, not a video player. I just think of the video option as a nice bonus for variety.

I looked at ipods and just could not justify getting the same capacity for double the price. It just makes no sense. ipods are fashion accessories and for those who can't be bothered to spend five minutes on the internet researching a better player.

If you're still unsure, check out some Sansa video reviews. I think it's well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8rDrrYDN8

Permabanned
OP
My 'Stone' had the small screen on it...Why didnt yours?

Is there anywere i can go physically look at a proper MP3 player, the Sony X Series or Sanza Fuze or anything else?

Capodecina
Soldato
My 'Stone' had the small screen on it...Why didnt yours?

Ah, you must have had the slightly better version. I had the [even] cheaper one which had no screen. Great player but the lack of screen was indeed annoying.

Is there anywere i can go physically look at a proper MP3 player, the Sony X Series or Sanza Fuze or anything else?

Are you in London? Go to Curry's Digital on Oxford Street [which used to be Dixons]. They have quite a few big name ones you can physically look at. Or go to a John Lewis.

Permabanned
OP
Ah, you must have had the slightly better version. I had the [even] cheaper one which had no screen. Great player but the lack of screen was indeed annoying.

Are you in London? Go to Curry's Digital on Oxford Street [which used to be Dixons]. They have quite a few big name ones you can physically look at. Or go to a John Lewis.

Im not, no...Im in Chester...

Soldato
'nothing is better than silly loud music!'

'Also i wont be listening to the music on the bus or train....not that chavy!'

So you want really loud music to listen in your bedroom through headphones? I only listen to music on the bus or train to drown out the sound of chavs

Soldato
Sandisk Sansa Clip is a nice basic player.

+1. I bought my 8gb Sansa Clip about 6 months ago for £40. Sound quality is excellent, it's certainly loud enough. I think it gets up to 15 hours of playback but obviously that depends on how you use it (should recharge from empty in about 2-3 hours). It's also got an FM tuner and microphone. I haven't given either much use but they seemed quite good considering the price. And the Sansa headphones that came with the player aren't bad either. Here's a Trusted Review of the 1gb Clip:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2007/12/12/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-1GB-/p3

To be honest, I think 7/10 for sound quality is a little bit stingy.

Gapless playback would've been nice but that seems to be something of a rarity on MP3 players.

Associate
Sandisk Sansa Clip+ should be out soon Link: http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/news/2009/09/01/SanDisk-Shames-iPod-shuffle-With-Sansa-Clip-/p1

The SanDisk Sansa Clip is easily one of our favourite MP3 players to date. So would you look at this...

The flash memory giant has finally released its first new MP3 player in more than a year in the shape of the 'Sansa Clip+' and the main difference here is a welcome one: a microSDHC expansion slot.

On the surface of things the player has had a slight refresh with a slimmer, less bulbous design, but with capacities up to 8GB and support to add another 16GB via microSD this is one player that can beat down a 4GB iPod shuffle with its eyes closed. Battery life also gets a nice boost now lasting for up to 15 hours of continuous music playback (iPod shuffle: 10 hours).

Besides this the Clip+ sticks to the winning formula of the Clip: four line colour OLED display, FM tuner (40 presets), mic, graphic equaliser, wide format support (MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC) plus simple drag and drop content transfer that requires no additional software. The Sansa Clip+ is also the first MP3 player to be officially certified by Microsoft for Windows 7, but I've actually yet to find an MP3 player that doesn't work on the OS in all truth.

The final killer: cost. The original 8GB Sansa Clip currently retails from as low as £45 online (the 4GB iPod shuffle is £59), and SanDisk has priced the 2GB, 4GB and 8GB Sansa Clip+ RRPs at just $40 (£24), $50 (£30) and $70 (£42). The Sansa Clip+ goes on sale in the US on 13 September, don't expect the UK to be far behind.

Yes, we're very impressed SanDisk. Just try not to make us wait yet another whole year for your next player...

Soldato
Great news. If those are the only changes they've made then I don't think I'll be upgrading to the Clip+ just yet. But if/when my Clip dies I'll almost certainly be sticking with Sansa.

I don't suppose there's any word on gapless playback for the Clip+? That's the one feature that would convince me to make the trade.

Associate
Hmm not sure mate. The PDF below claims it supports gapless playback.

http://www.sandisk.com/media/311074/User Manual SANSA(R) CLIP+_UM.pdf

However in the comments of the review, in the link below, users say FLAC is gaples while LAME-encoded MP3 aren't quite gapless.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review.php

I was about to buy the Sansa Clip because of this thread but stumbled upon the Clip+ at the last minute. Its just come out in America. Hopefully here soon.

Permabanned
OP
So, i saw a nice little offer in Argos earlier whilst out with the dog. Son X Series Walkman 16Gb + Leather Case = £164.99!!

I just had to buy it!!

And now im transfering some music onto it, takes awile, so im yet to try it all out. Head phones are unique and quite comfy (sad i know, trying them 'on' before i plugged them in).

Back
Top Bottom