Samsung I8910 any good?

Associate
Hi all,

I will be unpgrading my N95 8gb next month and have looked at many phones, The one that seems to suit my needs best is the Samsung Omnia HD i8910, Does anyone own one? if so what do you think?

My main uses are going to be web surfing, texting, movie and music playback?

Or should i just get an Iphone 3GS?

Soldato
I've got one, and love it, the main thing people will say against this phone is the symbian OS, but if you've been using an N95 and like it, then the I8910 will feel very similar in design.

The web browser built in is decent, easily usable and gets better once you update to the newer firmwares (highly recommended), texting is easy on the massive screen, with many different ways to input. Movie playback is obviously fantastic on the screen, and the phone supports pretty much any codec you can throw at it. Music playback I have no issues with, it uses the same music player you will be used to on your N95, with a few enhancements.

There are plenty of 3rd party (free) apps about if you know where to look (Symbian forums are amazing for these) which can provide better web browsers or pretty much anything you need, Opera mini being the best by far at the moment.

The iPhone is a decent phone, but the only thing really going for it compared to the I8910 is the interface, and the app store having all apps in one place, but if you're used to symbian, you will enjoy the samsung.

Soldato
To be honest if your first requirement is web surfing then the 3GS or even a 3G is the only phone to look at. Nothing has bettered Safari yet on any handset (Android comes close).

But if things like movie watching & camera are equally important its hard to see past the i8910. That AMOLED screen is simply superb.

It supports DiVX out of the box which is a massive plus and the camera quality has probably only been superceeded by the Pixon12.

I dont like Symbian personally but regardless of its faults but it is usable and it all depends on your requirements....

If a smartphone OS is not important have you considered the cheaper Samsung Jet which again has an AMOLED screen, supports DiVX out of the box but has a 800x480 screen and 800mhz CPU. By all accounts its a superb device.

Back
Top Bottom