What chipset? (LGA775)

Soldato
In terms of getting a motherboard, I need a chipset with the right things.

What's a good clocking chipset for LGA775, that holds PCiE 2.0

All I can figure so far is X38 P43, P45.

I'm no enthusiast, I just want a decent overclock on my Q6600, and the ability to run the newer generation cards coming up.

I'm on a hellish budget, so I really don't want to spend much. Hand me your Godlike advice, OcUK community. :(

Soldato
OP
Second hand or new from ocuk at £90 Asus p5q? I've heard they're good. Don't qoute me though, just from reading around.

Edit - It's P45 sorry.

Ah okay. Y'see that's reaching a bit far out of my range, considering I'm getting other components too :/

Are there last gen boards that handle PCiE 2? (X38 counts as one, but the boards still manage to cost a bit)

Edit: I just found this:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2007/06/06/p35_supports_pcie_2/1

...I did not know this. Is this widely accepted?

Soldato
An old P45 will do a Q6600 nicely, probably something in the MM. But to be honest you are wasting your money by "future proofing". Save the dosh and get a new motherboard when you can afford the new card. That is if you even need it, anything of an upgrad eon your 8400GS will yield huge results, I doubt that card even uses a 10th of the bandwidth in the pci-e 1.0 slot.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the link. It does look good.

An old P45 will do a Q6600 nicely, probably something in the MM. But to be honest you are wasting your money by "future proofing". Save the dosh and get a new motherboard when you can afford the new card. That is if you even need it, anything of an upgrade on your 8400GS will yield huge results, I doubt that card even uses a 10th of the bandwidth in the pci-e 1.0 slot.

Yes. This 8400GS is utter tripe (Though giving me the pleasures of TF2 and L4D...only). I understand what you're saying. I shall heed your advice, and get a new motherboard the same time I get the card. For now I shall go for a PSU, Case and Cooler.

Thank you.

Soldato
I'd wait till you got a bit more cash, £40 pound will get you around the same mobo. New anyway as far as second hand goes, I don't know. Get a new card aswell. :p

Back
Top Bottom