• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone got any pictures comparing 30FPS to 60FPS

Associate
For a example.....

So you need 30fps for decent gaming?

Anyone got a pictures comparing the difference FPS ? I be interested to see if you can notice a big difference.

Associate
FPS is a measurment of 'picture' rendering speed. In any one picture you will only see one frame and so the difference shouldnt be noticeable.
What you want is some true-to-life video.

Permabanned
:eek:

Doesn't that go against the whole, you know, frames per second thing?

If you're actually being serious, set your screens refresh rate to 30, turn vsync on in your favourite game and go and play it for a bit.

Then change the refresh rate to 60, and go play some more and see if it's any different.

Also ensure it's a game that your PC can run smoothly and and consistently above 60FPS.

Ideally, 60FPS should be the minimum you want for this to work well.

It also varies per game too. Fallout 3 feels unresponsive to me when it dips under 60, left for dead feels the same for at 30-120FPS, maybe that's the motion blur though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well any videos then;)

Im really interested, i mean graphics cards, can have at most 20FPS better off, but price between those cards might be £100-£150 more for the extra few FPS.

Im just wondering if it really is worth being shafted for those extra few FPS:)

Associate
OP
Thread is full of win.

Wind?:confused:

I thought you would be able to notice it even in still pictures, i guess i was very wrong:o

But as i say still wondering whether paying a lot extra for a card that gives you probaby 10-20 more FPS is worth it.

Soldato
Wind?:confused:

I thought you would be able to notice it even in still pictures, i guess i was very wrong:o

But as i say still wondering whether paying a lot extra for a card that gives you probaby 10-20 more FPS is worth it.

Wind! :D

Yeah you were very wrong, how would a photo of 1 frame show you anything about the other 29 or 59 frames in that second?

Soldato
What is your current card... if at all?

Because really the £100-£150 cards will give a lot more than just 10-20FPS but we don't know what resolution you run at and your current hardware. If you could ellaborate please. :)

Edit - That's epic tute. :D:D

Associate
OP
What is your current card... if at all?

Because really the £100-£150 cards will give a lot more than just 10-20FPS but we don't know what resolution you run at and your current hardware. If you could ellaborate please. :)

Edit - That's epic tute. :D:D

Current card, eh in my laptop a Nvidia 9300GS :D

But im about two weeks off getting a rig, i was planning on getting one of new cards, price depending of course, just wondering if price of say a GTX 280(iF DROPS TO AROUND £200) would be worth getting instead, as at most 30FPS or so worse off than the 5870.

Price would be around £100+ difference.

Associate
30fps is generally perfectly playable.

60fps is silky smooth.

The difference is that playing at 60fps, vsynced, makes it look like the way the game was meant to be played. At 30fps, it's still smooth [bear in mind most movies are shot at 24fps] but 60fps is much nicer.

The other thing to remember is that a solid framerate is better than peaks and troughs - I get about 25fps average on Crysis Warhead, but it dips and slows down. if I could tell it to 'lock' to 25fps, it would probably feel better [and some games allow this in their options - RFactor is the only one I can think of off the top of my head]

Soldato
Its very topical what sort FPS are needed to run a game smoothly.

I feel anything under 40 and I need to alter setting as the slow down gets very noticeable. A constant 50-60 FPS is good for me.

Soldato

But im about two weeks off getting a rig, i was planning on getting one of new cards, price depending of course, just wondering if price of say a GTX 280(iF DROPS TO AROUND £200) would be worth getting instead, as at most 30FPS or so worse off than the 5870.

Urm, do you only have that laptop?

Soldato

There is a chance that the 5850 will be priced similarly to the gtx285 and should be a bit faster with dx11 support.

Associate
OP
30fps is generally perfectly playable.

60fps is silky smooth.

The difference is that playing at 60fps, vsynced, makes it look like the way the game was meant to be played. At 30fps, it's still smooth [bear in mind most movies are shot at 24fps] but 60fps is much nicer.

The other thing to remember is that a solid framerate is better than peaks and troughs - I get about 25fps average on Crysis Warhead, but it dips and slows down. if I could tell it to 'lock' to 25fps, it would probably feel better [and some games allow this in their options - RFactor is the only one I can think of off the top of my head]

Now thats a reply that is helpful, thanks.:)

I remember playing Crysis on a new rig i bought nearly 2 years ago, think i had a GTS 250 or something, it looked ok. I bet i only had about 18fps aswell with that card:eek:

Guess to us casual players, you don't notice as much;)

Back
Top Bottom