Alienware m17x worth it?

Associate
Hello guys, I'm kinda novice really when it comes to laptops and specs, but I've watched all the reviews on YouTube all of which are very impressed with the machine..

But before I part with the cash I thought I would ask for your opinions..

Now the min spec comes in at £1700, but I specced it out for the medium range which came in at £2500 which I am willing to pay so long as I know I'm not getting shafted..

Any input or experince with alienware is appreciated..

Associate
OP
Basically it's the size of our house the 3 bedrooms are taken up by the kids and the mrs doesn't like to have a pc in the bedroom or front room so I'm stuck with laptops until we eventually move..

Thanks for the link I'll check that out..

Associate
I toyed with the idea too but i seriously wouldnt get one now, its way overpriced and dell customer services are a nightmare at the moment. There are alternatives with similar spec that come in around the 2k mark.

Soldato
Not a chance right now that its worth it; they're releasing the 4870s on the M17x (they're on the US site now) but no word on whether they're GDDR5 or not (which would make them a decent bit faster than the Nvidia 280M).

As it stands though, the Clevo resellers, OcUK et al, beat them senseless on price performance and in all likelyhood, customer service. Europe Alienware tech support is appalling and I couldnt recommend them because of it.

Check out people selling machines built on the Clevo M980nu for a much better overall machine.
I cant name others because OcUK sells the Clevo machines :)

The M17x is also rediculously priced in Europe in comparison to the US, we literally are paying $=£ for the machine, when even with tax, it should be a lot lower.

Soldato
There are some good deals on alienware on the bay at the moment. My friend bagged a i7 alienware rig with 2xGtx280, 6gb ram, asus p6t deluxe and 1.2k PSU for £700. I was trying to make him build a rig off overclockers :D

Soldato
I once bought a 15.4" alienware laptop and ignoring the fact they're notorious for overheating/breaking in super quick time (just check a well known auction site for literally HUNDREDS of spares or repair alienwares if you don't believe me) but i also regretted not getting one at least 17" or bigger considering the huge cost too.

Back
Top Bottom