• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 - Should I buy?

Associate
Hi,

I'm currently running with a 9600GT (512MB). It has served me well up until now but I've found that it struggles somewhat in games of late. My thoughts are that if I could sell my 9600GT for a fair second hand price (nudge nudge wink wink), then a new 4870 could well be within my price range.

Is this a good time to buy a 4870? Are we likely to see much of a drop in prices following the release of the 5xxx series?

Tom's hardware tells me that if in the future I decide to crossfire a pair of 4870s then I could see some impressive results.

Soldato
I've got a 4870 1GB and thinking of crossfire, although if i'm honest i max almost all games now at very playable framerates...If you can get one at £100 or less I'd vote yes.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OUCK have the 1gb 4870's for £100 now.....

I've been very happy with my xfired 4870's.

Associate
OP
The 1GB 4870s in crossfire don't seem to benchmark as high as the 512MBs in crossfire. It's a marginal difference I'll admit, but its worth noting. Is this difference irrelevant given the benefit of higher memory count especially at higher resolutions?

Back
Top Bottom