The superdrive has gone in my Mac Pro

Caporegime
Hi guys and gals,

Well after burning hundreds and hundreds of discs its finally given up the ghost.

It still opens and closes reads and works fine. BUT - when burning a disc sometimes there is an error with said disc.

But my question is this. Due to it being an intermittent fault where it could burn say the next 10 discs fine and the 11th one with a problem do you think Apple will replace it? or send it back saying no fault found?

The drive is 2 and a bit years old now (along with the rest of the machine) and I took an extended Apple care out on it when I bought it, will it cover it?

What do we reckon guys? I'm gonna ring Apple tomorrow but don't know if there is anything specific I should say.

Thanks guys,
Jake

Soldato
Yer make sure that you make them aware that its an intermittent fault.

Its the one component in Apple products that always makes me wonder why it is/was chosen, assuming they use a Matsh!ta drive in the Pro as well. The one in my Mac Mini did this after about one and a half years usage, it seems to be a very common problem.

Soldato
I just got the same issue in my 11 month old unibody MBP. Gonna call Apple tonight and sort it.
I have an Apple Authorised Service place nearby - does anyone know if Apple will arrange for the repair to take place there, or will I have to ship it off?

(sorry for the hijack btw)

Caporegime
OP
Spoke to a nice lady at Apple support who got me to do a parameter reset which is CMD+CTRL+R+P then turn the thing on :p

I had to hold the keys with both hands then use my big toe to turn it on whilst balancing a phone between my ear and shoulder :D - She said give it a go and if problems continue they'll sort out a replacement. Awesome :)

Soldato
I just got the same issue in my 11 month old unibody MBP. Gonna call Apple tonight and sort it.
I have an Apple Authorised Service place nearby - does anyone know if Apple will arrange for the repair to take place there, or will I have to ship it off?

(sorry for the hijack btw)

Authorised service centres do the same repairs as Apple Stores, including warranty stuff. Go to them, they'll get the bit in and do it. Might have the bit in stock even.

Soldato
Don't think this was the exact thread, as it's proving difficult to find.

I'm about to return my Mac Pro to get the Superdrive repaired/replaced.

I haven't worked out yet whether it's going to be easier to lug it to the Apple Store or whether to have them pick it up.

What's involved in them picking it up?
Do I need a box?

I've got four drives in my machine. Obviously I can yank three of them out.
Do they need the system drive in?
If they do, do they need administrator access.

I'm sure these are all questions they can answer over the phone, but would be good to know.

Soldato
Iv got the same fault :( (wish id realised last week and told them when it was being fixed)

Nexus they dont mind what's in there or not really, though it'd be sensible to leave the system drive in id guess. The asked for admin access when rebuilding my mates 07 mbp (with the faulty 8600gt) but didnt need it for mine and didnt ask.

Id love it if they could fix it then and there as i dont want more time without my mac...

Caporegime
OP
I haven't worked out yet whether it's going to be easier to lug it to the Apple Store or whether to have them pick it up.

I went on the basis that I paid for a good warranty, they should pick it up out of principal really. So I got them to pick it up.

What's involved in them picking it up?

They will contact you to arrange a collection date.

Do I need a box?

They will ask if you have the box, if you say no they will provide one for you.

I've got four drives in my machine. Obviously I can yank three of them out.
Do they need the system drive in?
If they do, do they need administrator access.

I took my 3 out but left my OS drive in. I wouldn't imagine so, but just change your password to 'passw0rd' or something like that so it doesn't relate to any other password you have.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why not just put in your own drive?

I see your covered, but perhaps get a replacement drive that's better than the standard ones Apple fit?

Back
Top Bottom