Which power supply?

Associate
Hey everyone, quick question, i have a p55-gd80 mobo and core i5 750 waiting and i'd like to order a new psu soon for delivery tomorrow. Everyone's ideas on what's "safe" for a psu seem to be different and im struggling to make my mind up.
I have my heart set on a corsair hx series due to reviews, past experience, 7 year warranty, and the flat black modular cables of course :)p).
I can't decide between the hx650 (not currently at ocuk) or the hx750.
Im planning to overclock to 4ghz, only have 2 hdd, 1 optical drive, 6 fans, but hopefully two 5870 down the line. Will the hx650 be enough for all this or would the two 5870 mean i should get the hx750 to be safe.

Hx650 has 52A on single 12v rail.

Hx750 has 60A on single 12v rail.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i decided to be on the safe side and ordered the hx750, nearly an extra £25 then the hx650 seemed a bit expensive when iv seen many people say they get by ok on crossfire 4890's with good 650w psu's but when you consider it's going to last me for many years it makes sense. Thanks for your inputs :)

Soldato
IMO it's worth getting an overrated PSU for several reasons:

-If it spend's it's life at 60% load when your PC is under full load, then it will be at it's most efficient, and should therefore use less power than one which is closer to it's limits.
-If it's not really stressed, it won't need to run it's fan faster, and should be quieter
-As PSUs age, their maximum output drops, so if you've only got a few 20s of watts headroom, you might be looking at a fail after 2-3 years.
-You can upgrade your GPU/GPUs when the next round of gready GPUs arrive.

Always buy quality though, a cheap 700W PSU might be no better than a quality 500W PSU.

The HX750 is quality (I went for the HX850 personally).

Associate
Well i decided to be on the safe side and ordered the hx750, nearly an extra £25 then the hx650 seemed a bit expensive when iv seen many people say they get by ok on crossfire 4890's with good 650w psu's but when you consider it's going to last me for many years it makes sense. Thanks for your inputs :)

Also its worth noting the hx750 is a pretty new product compared to the 650 which is pretty old now. The general stability and quality of the hx750 is better.

Associate
OP
IMO it's worth getting an overrated PSU for several reasons:

-If it spend's it's life at 60% load when your PC is under full load, then it will be at it's most efficient, and should therefore use less power than one which is closer to it's limits.
-If it's not really stressed, it won't need to run it's fan faster, and should be quieter
-As PSUs age, their maximum output drops, so if you've only got a few 20s of watts headroom, you might be looking at a fail after 2-3 years.
-You can upgrade your GPU/GPUs when the next round of gready GPUs arrive.

Always buy quality though, a cheap 700W PSU might be no better than a quality 500W PSU.

The HX750 is quality (I went for the HX850 personally).

I agree with all of them mate, i just wanted to save £25 or so for beer money :p but im certain i've made the right choice :)

Also its worth noting the hx750 is a pretty new product compared to the 650 which is pretty old now. The general stability and quality of the hx750 is better.

I think your thinking of the hx620, they've replaced it with the new hx650, only came out this month. It's now got 4x 6+2pci-e cables instead of 2 like the hx620 so im pretty sure it could run two high end graphic's card but at least my hx750 will be quieter as it won't be as stressed :)

Associate
The HX750 is built by CWT.

The HX650 is a new model, replacing the HX620. This one is built by Seasonic.

I'm planning on going with the HX650 for my upcoming build, because (i) it will be plenty of power for all but the most power-hungry rigs, and (ii) Seasonic make some of the quietest PSUs out there.

Back
Top Bottom