Which of these hatches get your vote?

Soldato
I've narrowed my choice for a winter car down to these and want to get opinions on which one would be your choice and why. My criteria is something that while fast, isnt going to break down every two mins as it will only be kept until spring. In terms of speed I think that most of these cars are hitting 60 in around the 7ish second mark so what i really want is opinions on pro's/con's in other areas (reliability, mpg, repairs, looks). That being said if any of these slow to a crawl after hitting 60 then let me know! Spending £5000 or under and want something that I can get people in for a change (had an mroadster for the last few years) so things like an s2000 or TT are out. Also keen to avoid something that might feature in any fast and furious movies so not up for mr2 turbos or skylines;)

Clio 172/182
Mondeo ST220
Focus ST170
Civic type-r
Golf v6 4motion mk4
S3 (price permitting)
Golf mk5 (taking the slower option in favour of something newer)

I know theres a lot of renaultsport fans on here and to be honest it's probably my front runner just now. Only thing that puts me off is the size. Also quite keen on the Golf V6 as it'd be nice to have a proper engine if only for the soundtrack. Cant find much about this car other than performance fiqures so opinions on this would be especially appreciated.

Anyway i've started rambling..............you're thoughts please!

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
For a car you're only going to keep for a short time, I would either go for an early EP3 Type-R or a 172/182.

The Type-R would be hard to find in good condition for 5k, but they are out there now. MPG goes is around 25-30, so not the best. I'm sure the Clie would be far better suited but I don't know if comfort in either of the cars would be great for winter.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
S3 or a golf v6

a v6 golf could be fun, although it's not really sporty
either way, 4wd could be useful for the winter months

the 4 motion golfs should be well specced, with heated seats always being nice in winter :)
not sure you'll get a nice S3 for your budget..

get this :p

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1243334.htm

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Personally Mondeo, Civic or Clio out of that list for me.

The Golf 4motion was alright but the others are better imho, if you want a nice v6 sond go for the mondeo instead.

If budget was higher I'd also say S3 but for that money you're going to be getting an early one with high miles.

Soldato
I'd say Type R, but not at £5k.

Out of the rest, I'd say the ST220. The ST170 would probably be my last choice out of the proper hot hatches there - Type R > Clio > S3 > ST170. Your budget will do you proud for either a Clio or an ST170 though.

I don't think you'll go far wrong with an ST220 TBH.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the responses. Lot more people saying the mondeo than I thought there would be. To those of you who said ST220, can I ask why you think that over the rest? Seems to be slower on paper (0-62) and more thirsty than the clio so is it a better option in terms of comfort and looks for you or would it horse the other cars in the real world?

I love how nobodys chosen the Gold mk5. You've all passed the test!

I think i'm going to kick the S3, st170 and civic off the list as well as finding a decent civic or s3 within budget will be a pain. As far as the st170 goes i cant really see any areas that its better in than the clio so it's gone. Thats leaving the Golf V6, Clio and Mondeo. How are mondeos and golfs going to be up around the 65000 miles+ mark?

ps the new autotrader site is driving me MAD!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom