Been offered a 50" Pioneer Plasma

Caporegime
Right got a bit of a dilemma...originally last week i had placed an order for the Panasonic 43" plasma for my front room...was expecting delivery this week as the place i got it from is out of stock at the moment.

Anyhow got a call from my uncle who owns a 50" Pioneer Plasma...basically hes getting shot of it as hes replacing it with the 60" pioneer plasma...the place hes getting it from have offered £1500 for a trade in but seeing as i know my stuff and just recently got him to ***** £2k on a reference Pioneer blu ray player...hes the type that will buy the most expensive stuff even if its rubbish:p...so hes offered me the Pioneer for £1500...he said he would rather i have it...only problem is that i think its gonna look a bit silly in my front room but come on its a PIONEER FOR GODS SAKE!!!!...thats what my mind is telling me lol.

Anyhow its a couple of yrs old but has hardly been used...i know what hes like and he really looks after his stuff...in fact the said plasma has been covered in a cover for a good while...ive seen it in action and it looks brilliant...really nice set.

Anyhow just wanted some advice as to what to do....he wants £1500 for the plasma...its a Pioneer PDP 5000EX...thats the model number hes given me...still sells for over £2k but dont know how good it is compared to the plasmas these days....plus ill probably get him to knock it down in price ie something like £1000.

So what do you all think...do you think its worth it...i know Pioneers have a very good rep in the plasma market although they have stopped making them...its still got 3 yrs warranty on it too..

So lets see what you lot have to say about it.

Permabanned
It's a 7th generation panel which means it's the last Pioneer before they released their first Kuro (means black in Japanese ;)). I've stared at a 507XD which is the same generation and not been that impressed with the black performance. It was a big jump from 7th to 8th generation.

It's a stunning built screen and you won't get near it's build quality but ***** £1500 on the latest Panasonic and the Pioneer won't compete.

Get him down to £1000 and I'd be tempted, otherwise get a Panasonic G15.

:)

Caporegime
My Pioneer 5090 was 1645 brand new when a reputable dealer were doing an offer just before christmas - 5 yr warranty included. Its still available for just under £2000

With that, the 7th generation Pioneer sounds expensive for a 2 generation old tv.

Soldato
You have a point there Simon scrap what I said then £500- 600 sounds about right for a second hand Pioneer PDP 5000EX does it not. If you have £1645 on the hip Spawn, I would go for the Pioneer Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090!

Caporegime
OP
Hmmm thanks guys...i had a look at the specs and it seemed pretty good..full hd 1080p etc....but it seems that its not the kuro that i thought it was.

Oh well guess il scrap that idea then plus its not going to look any good in my front room the more i think about it...looks like ill just end up getting the panasonic plasma when they come into stock.

Cheers guys.

Soldato
Anyhow just wanted some advice as to what to do....he wants £1500 for the plasma...its a Pioneer PDP 5000EX...thats the model number hes given me....
There no way i would pay £1500 for an old PDP 5000ex plasma now.....

Buy a pioneer 509 9th gen or a secondhand LX508D 8th gen plasma

Forget your uncle PDP 5000ex as the blacks are nowhere near today standards

Last edited:
Soldato
You can buy a Pioneer 8th gen 1080p LX508D for £999.95 if you look around ;)

LX508D.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Get a Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 you know you want to:D.

Haha id love to but sadly it wouldnt look good in my front room...50" would be far too massive im afraid...i think the best im gonna get in there is about 42" which was what i was originally planning to do.

I have a 32" LCD in there now and i sit about 5-6ft away from it so i think a 50" would be massive overkill.

Thanks guys...i rung him this morning and told him the bad news lol...said no problem...hes got some guy whos coming round tonight whos interested in the plasma so looks like its no big loss to him...£1500 is a damn good price if he gets it for a used pioneer.

Soldato
Not worth £1500 by a mile. More like 600-700 if your lucky, if that. You can pick up a second hand Kuro 9th gen LX for £1400-£1500 with warranty. I paid £1795 + 5 year warranty back in January new. You've done yourself a favour. No offence here but I think your uncle is asking way too much. :)

Soldato
Haha id love to but sadly it wouldnt look good in my front room...50" would be far too massive im afraid...i think the best im gonna get in there is about 42" which was what i was originally planning to do.

You do realise that anything you buy will magically shrink within a few weeks :D

Back
Top Bottom