Geil Ultra Series 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-17000 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit Packaging

Associate
Very quick question relating to the packaging of the afore-mentioned kit?
Did anyone who ordered this RAM actually receive this boxed? Mine's turned up from OcUK yesterday loose with both modules in a small black OEM (I assume anti-static!) bag, open at one end...
There was a bit of tape holding both modules together, but this hadn't held, and one of the modules was beginning to poke out of the bag (I could have just slid it out).
Just wanting to know whether this is standard (i.e. OcUK have huge stocks of this RAM and rather than a matched pair, are just selling sticks from a huge pile, or whether this is a mistake?).

Cheers all!

Associate
Matched pairs of memory are always tested as a pair, especially from a manufacturer like GeIL. There is no way they can 100% guarantee that a pair will work unless its packaged together.

Did you get it from clearance/B-grade? Normally, GeIL stuff is packaged in a nice little plastic case with a card sheath, marked with the type and speed...

All I can say is make sure you test it, either by a torture test, or run memtest before you do anything else. An Anti-Static bag actually does nothing to shield its contents if the bag is open. I know this as I work in a manufacturing company, and have done much work on an Electronics production line.

Soldato
Somewhat weired! a retail product to be recieved with no retail packaging whatsoever, then again thats probally why their so cheap, bought in huge bulk dirt cheap.

Then again the G.Skill are just as cheap, arrive with retail packagaing & can clock as good if not better.

Associate
OP
Matched pairs of memory are always tested as a pair, especially from a manufacturer like GeIL. There is no way they can 100% guarantee that a pair will work unless its packaged together.

Did you get it from clearance/B-grade? Normally, GeIL stuff is packaged in a nice little plastic case with a card sheath, marked with the type and speed...

All I can say is make sure you test it, either by a torture test, or run memtest before you do anything else. An Anti-Static bag actually does nothing to shield its contents if the bag is open. I know this as I work in a manufacturing company, and have done much work on an Electronics production line.

The last lot of Geil RAM I had was DDR2, and of course, that did come in the same sheaths that you're talking about.
Unfortunately, this wasn't B-Grade RAM either...it might not have been so bad if it was, and not £85 :(
TBH, I'm not too happy about the way in which it came, and may have to raise the issue with OcUK.

Here's a piccy of what it came in (this is after I'd pushed one RAM stick back in though to stop the thing falling out!)

DSC06550---Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've queried this with OcUK on the forum just now...as has been mentioned, this doesn't guarantee any kind of dual-channel compatibility surely?
It's a shame because I'd actually wanted to buy some more for both client builds and myself, but can't risk it (especially as I try to include all boxes for most customers - it seems to make them happy when they know premium quality goods are being used inside).
Will keep you posted!

Soldato
Hey can any of you take pics of the ram itself along with the batch number details, just want to see what a pair looks like.

Would appreciated it, thanks.

Associate
Mine just arrived, came in the same static bag open at one end as yours, with a heavy power supply on top of it :/

As long as it all works there won't be a problem.

@Nelly i took these, but my camera isn't the greatest.

dscf1392j.jpg

dscf1393o.jpg

If you need anything else just ask.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's nice looking RAM, and looks like it will go quite well in the MSI boards. Just a shame about the packaging - fortunately I didn't have anything else shipped from OcUK at the time, but I was already skeptical enough of the packing without having to worry about a PSU!

Associate
OP
For the £75, I'm tempted to get another 4GB and take me to 8GB whilst batch numbers are similar...what would you guys do?

It's also £75 I could put towards a 5850 though :(

Associate
OP
I can confirm that they're not garish at all (a la OcUK product page).
As long as the hologram isn't the only thing certifying them as genuine (they don't have them) I'd recommend them! :)

Soldato
@Nelly i took these, but my camera isn't the greatest.
Yeah thats great just wanted to make sure they had a proper serial no/barcode for authenticity. I might get some of these sticks, will have to wait till my cash transfered from Paypal to Bank grrr wish could do paypal payment.
[timko];14955063 said:
Thank god they're not plastered with stickers like shown on OCuk's product page...

MY-083-GL_400.jpg

I might actually buy a pair of these now :)
False Advertising.

Last edited:
Associate
Keep seeing people recommending these and with the 'This Week Only' offer on I may get some instead of the Ripjaw ones I was looking at. The packaging is the only bad thing Ive seen, definately a bit wierd :confused:

Permabanned
well both my pairs come in the antistatic bags and in a brown box for delivery.

i wonder why they are advertised as retail when they are clearly OEM.

im not impressed as every set of geil ive bought in the past came in a plastic case inside a nice box. very secure packaging.

Back
Top Bottom