Home Contents Insurance for 3 Sharers

Soldato
Hi All,

Myself, Peternem and NickXX are lucky enough to be living together, and we had an absolute nightmare last year getting home contents insurance. It seems that unless your related, insurers dont like 3 friends living together when it comes to getting contents insurance.

We managed to get cover from A Plan last year, and the renewal has just come through, a whopping £186.

This feels slightly excessive to me, especially when they said another insurer might be able to do it for £146, but when they enquired further it turned out they wouldnt do it unless we were related/in a relationship together.

As much as I'd love a love triangle with Nick and Pete, surely there is an easier way to get cheaper house insurance? what do you other sharers do?

Associate
For just my room in shared accommodation I've been offered £69 for the year :/ That's with £4000 cover not including mp3 player's or laptops etc.

Seems ridiculously expensive since I got quoted ~£20 last year D: (uni accomodation)

Soldato
OP
right.

So the AA are idiots. They dont offer that cover, even though I stated it on the go compare site. I spoke to an underwriter who could get it for circa £170, but he wasnt totally sure.

Then I found Home Cover. They can do it for £108.91, or £168.95 if we include 'away from home cover'

I'll have a chat with the guys tonight and go from there.

Soldato
Why can't you each just get contents cover for your own stuff? There's no rule that dictates you must only have one contents policy per dwelling.

We did. And when I phoned Direct Line to amend my policy they cottoned on to it and said they'd give me a full refund as my policy was now void.

Apparently the risk is that Gareth could steal my stuff without having to cross any locked threshold!

The only way individual policies would work is if each of our rooms were locked and we left nothing in communal areas - total joke. Students may live like this but not young professionals who trust each other and have known each other for years.

Back
Top Bottom