New memory problems...

Associate
Hello, this relates back to an earlier thread i posted on a memory upgrade i was doing on my lovely dell system!! I'm having some trouble in that the computer is emitting beeps with the new memory installed and will not start the computer. The bays are fine as my old 512mb sticks work fine afterwards. I was advised to get the following memory, what follows i have copied from previous post...

I have a Dell Dimension DM051 with a pentium 4 3.20GHz processor and 1Gb of RAM.

I want to upgrade to 2Gb of RAM to improve my use of applications such as photoshop and premiere CS3. My question is what type of memory do i need to be compatible with my system?

That Dell PC requires 400MHz or 533MHz DDR2 RAM. There is non of this exact type on OCUK, but you could shop around or use this stuff (its a bit faster, but the BIOS should reduce it to motherboard default speed - 533Mhz)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-097-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=144

Associate
DDR2 533MHz is PC2-4200, and 400MHz is PC2-3200. I've heard some weird things with Dell PC's, where you need to restart the pc about 5 times for it to pick up any changes!

I doubt very much the board will not be able to run 5300, but you're right. if the bios doesn't like it, it'll just run it slower. You can run any faster memory slower, but running slow memory fast is the harder one ;) People here often manage it, but you need some good stuff for it. Dell PC's don't overclock at all, unless you're doing a hardware overclock...

Associate
OP
Mmm, in that case do you think i should try restarting the computer a few more times with it in?! The beeping was concerning at the time, but i guess its just cos its not detecting any memory at all! Not looking forward to getting this working!!!

Back
Top Bottom