Leave Sky BB to Virgin ?

Soldato
Hello,

I am currently on Sky Broadband and i believe it the connect package, allows up to 8Mb, the router is syncing at 5.5Mb :)

Early hours of the morning and day time the internet is fine, speed tests report close to 5Mb speeds so all is good.

However after 4pm the internet is rubbish, do a speed test then and its reports back 0.5M's !!!!! what the hell not even a meg :eek: Its the same every day between 4 and midnight.

Sky say there nothing they can do :( its just my exchange and the package i am on.

Would cancelling Sky and moving to Virgin broadband help ? i am not in a fibre optic area so it would still come down the phone line. But with virgin would i get 5Mb speed all day all the time ???

Thanks Ben

Soldato
Noooooooo!

Dont go to virgin - I had exactly the same as you had with Sky - and its a known issue - albeit most of the time it was a ping issue but the download did drop quite a lot too - always 4pm till about 0100!

I moved to ADSL24 which is much better - stable pings and decent, although a little slower (only 6.5mb) connection it is stable!

Soldato
as per tbird, had a mate on virgin (via phone line rather than cable) and he switched to o2 llu.

look at your exchange on sam knows and see what llu packages they have available.

i switched from non-llu o2 to adsl24 and pings are far better.

Soldato
Skys good in the day time just at night its rubbish, 0.5Mb carnt do anything. I want to game (PS3).

If you're on the Connect package with Sky then they're basically providing your broadband service using BT's equipment in a BT exchange, as opposed to Sky's equipment in a BT exchange (unbundelled). Because of this BT are "throttling" the ADSL signal in order to provide a fair service (speed) to all the customers connected during peak times. This is why you're speed is dropping.

Sky say there nothing they can do :( its just my exchange and the package i am on.

That's true - Sky dont own the equipment in the exchange and have no say over how it's run. As I understand it Virgin apply the same process on their Cable broadband service as well - I'd advise looking into whether that would affect you should you decide to make the move from Sky BB to Virgin.

Back
Top Bottom