Researchers say smacking kids lowers their IQ, researchers need a smack.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
From this article:

SMACKING, long used by parents to discipline naughty children, could cause more than tears.

Research revealed it can also lower a child's IQ, with those smacked up to three times a week having a lower IQ due to psychological stress.

US-based sociologist Professor Murray Straus, who studied the impact of smacking for 40 years, likened the effects of corporal punishment to post-traumatic stress, affecting a child's mental development.

He called on governments to outlaw corporal punishment.

After studying 800 toddlers aged between two and four over a four-year period, he found those who were subjected to smacking had an IQ five points lower than that of a child who wasn't physically disciplined.

"The results of this research have major implications for the well-being of children across the globe," he said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Today's poll - smacking
Do you believe that smacking children gives them lower IQs?
Yes
No
Vote now
Related Coverage

* Punishment debate: Parents want to smack kids
* Court rules: Strap dad 'crossed the line'
* Texas: Smack your kid or get a fine
* Double standars: Minister smacks of hypocrisy

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"All parents want smart children. This research shows that avoiding smacking and correcting misbehaviour in other ways can help that."

Children aged five to nine years who were smacked regularly had an IQ 2.8 points lower. Dr Straus said children who constantly faced physical punishment lived in fear and suffered stress, which was associated with poorer academic performance.

While not an advocate of smacking, Sydney psychologist Dr Judith Kennedy said parents who gave an occasional tap on the bottom should not fear damaging their child.

"But a child who is suppressed through physical punishment regularly is going to behave differently," Dr Kennedy said.

I agree with the first comment by Shinsengumi that proper discipline clearly laid out so the kid knows what he or she did wrong is the correct way. Today's parenting is rubbish.

Oh the spoonings I received when I was younger....fun -ouch filled memories :p

Soldato
You can't compare a child who has been smacked to a child who hasn't and then state it's scientific proof. The only fair comparison is to test a child before introducing any punishment and then again after.

Associate
Whether this is true or not .. some kids just deserve it, also what about the effects on the parents when their being kicked/punched/bitten as some kids do ! its like its bad for parents to hit kids but the kids can hit them

Soldato
My wife and I are expecting our first child and as you can imagine I am pretty excited at the prospect of being a Dad. The one thing I am not looking forward to is having to discipline the child as he or she grows up. My parent were reasonably strict and I did get a clout from my dad on the odd occasion - but only for really serious issues.

I think I will take the same approach - no corporal punishment except for probably life-threatening issues.

Man of Honour
You can't compare a child who has been smacked to a child who hasn't and then state it's scientific proof. The only fair comparison is to test a child before introducing any punishment and then again after.

That was my first thought, you can't state that it proves anything because you don't know if the child would have had a higher IQ without smacking. I'm generally not in favour of smacking children except, perhaps, as a very last resort but this does not constitute good proof that it is damaging to a childs mental health.

Caporegime

This is completely wrong. You do need to take various steps to ensure that your populations are comparable, which is difficult to do with things like smacking because there are a whole load of associated issues, but comparing two seperate populations is perfectly good science.

Soldato
Kids are crap these days, they're full of disorders and problems etc...

I'm with you, when I was a kid, if someone didn't behave it was because they were stupid/attention seeking, not because of some "learning difficulty"

20 years down the line my brother eventually gets diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome (assburgers to me and you) and while it explains a lot of his mentalities as a child, it should never be used as an excuse :/

Back
Top Bottom