• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD or Intel - Which of these would you go for

Associate
Doing an upgrade on a budget(but a reasonable budget). Which of these configurations would you go for

AMD Phenon II 720
Gigabyte UD5P Mobo (2nd hand)
£178

AMD Phenom II 955
Gigabyte UD5P Mobo (2nd hand)
£235

Intel i5 750
Gigabyte UD2
£227

Couple of initial thoughts on the i5
1) It's an OEM so I assume it doesn't come with a cooler - so I will need to add that
2) It comes with Operation Flashpoint 2 (somehow - as it isn't released yet) which is a game I have on pre-order. So I could save myslef £18 by cancelling my pre-order.

Other considerations
1) For AMD I would be getting a top end MoBo (albeit 2nd hand) - is that a big benefit over the entry MoBo I would get for the i5
2) I have a spare Arctic Freezer Pro 64 which I would hope to use for the Phenoms

I imagine any of the 3 is more than enough for my needs.

What I use it for

Gaming
Surfing + eMail
MS Office stuff
Some photo manipulation
Some iTunes stuff
Some converting DVDs for my PSP and iPod

I currently use an 2 core E6750 @ 3.0GHz which my son will inherit. Apart from gaming (Crysis and ARMA II) I have never thought for once that it slow.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Associate
enticed by a certain etailer who is doing it for £137 today only.

Good choice.
I've just done exactly the same - always a pain not to buy from OcUK, but being £12 less than OCers TWO offer (and they give me free shipping too).

Just installed it and runs very nicely. Now perhaps a H5O to cool it, hmmm.... :)

Back
Top Bottom