can no page file cause BSOD?

Associate
hi,

i just bought 4gb of ram last week and have started having page fault errors. im tryin to trouble shoot to see if its the new ram thats faulty or is it me having a small page file.

with my old 2gb kit of ram ram i always had a 1gb page file and didnt suffer any probs. with this new 4gb kit i thought id try and switch off or reduce the page file to increase performance and thats when ive started having these problems. they occur randomly when surfing the web or gaming.

ive now set the page file to 2gb so il see if any more errors happen. if i dont get any more errors would i be safe in assuming that the ram is ok?

Associate
OP
well i was still gettin errors even with a page file. put my old ram back in and would u know it, no errors! open and shut case of faulty ram methinks.

the ram was CSR-854G5C CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 PC
(1066mhz 5-5-5-18)

anyone else ever used this ram?

Soldato
For the record, having no page file is unlikely to cause a BSOD, but it can certainly cause applications to crash if you run out of RAM.

Associate
OP
yep the ram speed was 1066mhz and the timings where 5-6-6-18. it booted up ok but as i said i was constantly gettin errors. i have my old ram back in now and the errors have disappeared.

needless to say ive returned the ram.

Back
Top Bottom