• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DUD 5870?

Associate
Hummm I am starting to wonder about this card.

My temps even when starting the machine up from being off for 12 hours are idle at 60. I have ran the fans at 100% for last 15 minutes and it has finally stabalized temps on idle between 49 - 50.

Any suggestions?

f36.png

Associate
Might need to re-seat the heatsink, happened to me with my 4850, you'd probably need to buy some thermal paste if you dont have any costs about £4

Apart from that I have no Idea unless you want to RMA it

Associate
OP
Might need to re-seat the heatsink, happened to me with my 4850, you'd probably need to buy some thermal paste if you dont have any costs about £4

Apart from that I have no Idea unless you want to RMA it

Yeah got plenty of artic 5 here. Someone in another thread had similar problems I believe and solved it by ( as he put it ) supplying more volts to the exhaust fans.

If you read this that guy could you explain what you did :) Thanks

Soldato
Yeah got plenty of artic 5 here. Someone in another thread had similar problems I believe and solved it by ( as he put it ) supplying more volts to the exhaust fans.

If you read this that guy could you explain what you did :) Thanks

Hey yea that was me, it wasn't the 5870 fan, it was my case fans that were the trouble, they were only set at 5v speed which is barely turning the fans and hence very little airflow through my case. I only realised the other day!

Associate
For me the least traumatic experience would be to res-seat the heat sink with the artic 5 you got there

-Simple
-Takes 15mins max
-Shouldn't void warranty, there not gonna know

Whereas if you RMA you won't have it for a week, can you live without it ;)

Soldato
For me the least traumatic experience would be to res-seat the heat sink with the artic 5 you got there

-Simple
-Takes 15mins max
-Shouldn't void warranty, there not gonna know

Whereas if you RMA you won't have it for a week, can you live without it ;)

No, if it was second hand, perhaps. This is a new product and not working normally. RMA it to the store who will have to replace it.

Soldato
If you notice your card is idling at 400/1200 which is higher than a 5870 normally idles, I'm guessing you have multiple monitors enabled?

Same issue was reported here and here it's intended that it uses more power per connected display as far as I know.

Associate
OP
Ati Overdrive is showing same temp as gpu-z....well there is usually only about 1 in it.

Under load its upto about 71-72.

I do have an idea how I can add some more air into rear intake on the cards so im going to give that a go tomorrow and see how it goes.

The case is an Akasa Eclipse. I think one of my probs is my 4 raptors. They sit in front of the intake and they run very hot. I am going to space them out better and replace the 120m intake fan ( its almost a couple of years old now ). Also not been running side panel fan so will enable that and have it push cold air in which sits near the rear of the gfx card.

EDIT : Yes I have dual monitors. Will disable one and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
72C under load then there is nothing wrong with it. If you had a bad mount it would show up under loads as well as idle.

Do you have dual monitors connected?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom