Some Issues

Associate
Hi all,

I have just been given a range of static ips for my router and other machines. Have set up the router correctly I hope as below:

3952966087_863501994c.jpg

3953743832_cb1ac60ea9.jpg

Have added a static ip to some machines (the external ones) and then added the internal ip to those machines as a second ip so that i can browse shares on machines with internal ips on the different range.

Now for the problem, ever since this change I am having problems with loads of websites not loading correctly ot taking a long time to do so. Facebook. tv guide, cant dload java, image shack 4OD and iplayer.

Any suggestions to what might be the issue?

THanks

mark

Soldato
You've setup NAT and IP routing together which maybe the cause the of the problems - your machines on the internet IP's are being NAT'd to the external interface as well as the public IPs being routed - the machines can see 2 seperate default gateways and are probably getting confused.

Best bet is to give all your machines external IPs and be done with it (unless you have more machines than IPs or have a reason for wanting to NAT). You can still access your machines "internally" using their external IP.

I had my ADSL setup this way for years and it worked flawlessly.

Also, your subnet masks are WAY out. You should be using 255.255.255.0 or less - the router is probably filling those out as it's seeing 10.x.x.x and 78.x.x.x and assuming Class A subnets.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your help Pete, I am going to change my subnets and see if that helps.

You are right I have more machines and devices that require IPs than I have static addresses. So I need to use NAT and IP routing together, have I set it up in the right way?

Thanks

Mark

Soldato
I've never used a Draytek, but apart from the subnet masks I'd say so.
You need to look at the IP addresses range you've been given.

If you have a /29 (8 addresses - less the network, broadcast and router address - leaving 5 usable) then the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.248.
If you have a /28 (16 addresses - less the network, broadcast and router address - leaving 13 usable) then the subnet mask will be 255.255.225.240.

The NATd side (10.0.0.0/24) should be 255.255.255.0

The only thing I would suggest is to have a public or a NATd address on each machine.
The router should route between the 2 subnets for you.... ie, if you had 78.33.1.2 as a public IP on a machine, you should be able to access it as \\78.33.1.2\share from a machine with a 78.33.1.x address directly, and from a 10.0.0.x address via the routing table. Same should apply the other way.

Back
Top Bottom